1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of binomial expansion

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    what will be the coefficient of the x^n in the expansion of (1+x)^-1 and(1-x)^-1. Please answer it separately..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    According to the spirit of this forum, an attempt on your part will help to encourage someone to help you.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    i used the general term as tr=C(n,r) a^(n-r)*x^r. however i could not hav a final answer as i supposed this method is not approate so there may be other wayz to solve. and using above formula i always got the answer without the appropriate sign..could anyone help for it..

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    You can use

(1 + x)[itex]^{m}[/itex] = 1 + mx/(1!) + m(m - 1)x[itex]^{2}[/itex]/(2!) + ...

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    ya i used it but what should be the nth term...i have no idea...pls give me some..

7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am sure you have seen the answers to these questions, even before you ever heard of the binomial expansion!

RGV

8. Oct 18, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I believe Ray Vickson is referring to the formula for the infinite geometric sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook