Need help understanding the binomial series

In summary, the conversation discusses the binomial series and its application to finding the expansion of (8+3x)^2/3. The range of valid values for x is -8/3 < x < 8/3, and this is due to the fact that the expression can be rewritten as 8^n(1 + 3/8x)^n. The conversation also clarifies that the restrictions on x only apply when n is not a positive integer.
stfz

Homework Statement

My math textbook is currently on the Binomial Series now, after completing the Binomial Theorem (no problems with that one). I believe most of my trouble comes from the book's rather glancing explanation of it, only giving examples of the form ##(1 +/- kx)##. Now have encountered this question:

Q
Obtain the first three terms, in ascending powers of x, of the expansion of ##(8+3x)^\frac{2}{3}##, stating the set of values for which this expansion is valid.

Homework Equations

The binomial series is defined as :

##(1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n+1)}{1*2}x^2 + \frac{n(n+1)(n-2)}{1*2*3}x^3 + ... ##, provided that |x| < 1.

Expansion of ##(1+kx)^n## is valid for ##\frac{-1}{k} < x < \frac{1}{k}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to find the expansion by following the binomial series definition, but multiplying everything by ##8^n##, where n is 2/3, -1/3, -4/3, and so on.

##(8+3x)^\frac{2}{3} = 8^\frac{2}{3} + (8^\frac{-1}{3})(\frac{2}{3})(3x) + (8^\frac{-4}{3})\frac{(\frac{2}{3})(\frac{-1}{3})}{2}(3x^2)##

Which is simplified to :

## 4 + x - \frac{x^2}{16} ## This is correct, according to the textbook answers.

However, I cannot find the range of x for which it is valid. The textbook answer is :
##\frac{-8}{3} < x < \frac{8}{3}##.

Why is that so? Could I have an explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you pull the 8 out of the expression (8 + 3x) = 8*(1 + (3/8)x ) does that help?

stfz said:

Homework Statement

My math textbook is currently on the Binomial Series now, after completing the Binomial Theorem (no problems with that one). I believe most of my trouble comes from the book's rather glancing explanation of it, only giving examples of the form ##(1 +/- kx)##. Now have encountered this question:

Q
Obtain the first three terms, in ascending powers of x, of the expansion of ##(8+3x)^\frac{2}{3}##, stating the set of values for which this expansion is valid.

Homework Equations

The binomial series is defined as :

##(1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n+1)}{1*2}x^2 + \frac{n(n+1)(n-2)}{1*2*3}x^3 + ... ##, provided that |x| < 1.

Expansion of ##(1+kx)^n## is valid for ##\frac{-1}{k} < x < \frac{1}{k}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to find the expansion by following the binomial series definition, but multiplying everything by ##8^n##, where n is 2/3, -1/3, -4/3, and so on.

##(8+3x)^\frac{2}{3} = 8^\frac{2}{3} + (8^\frac{-1}{3})(\frac{2}{3})(3x) + (8^\frac{-4}{3})\frac{(\frac{2}{3})(\frac{-1}{3})}{2}(3x^2)##

Which is simplified to :

## 4 + x - \frac{x^2}{16} ## This is correct, according to the textbook answers.

However, I cannot find the range of x for which it is valid. The textbook answer is :
##\frac{-8}{3} < x < \frac{8}{3}##.

Why is that so? Could I have an explanation?

If you write [tex](8+3x)^n = 8^n \left(1 + \frac{3}{8}x \right)^n[/tex] the reason should become clear.

Also: I hope you realize that the restrictions on ##x## apply only if ##n## is not a positive integer. When ##n## is a positive integer (n = 1 or 2 or 3 or ... ) the expansion is valid for all values of ##x##.

D'oh. Thanks guys :P

What is the binomial series?

The binomial series is a mathematical series that represents the expansion of a binomial expression, also known as a two-term polynomial. It is written in the form of (a+b)^n, where n is a positive integer and a and b are constants.

What is the purpose of the binomial series?

The binomial series is used to find the coefficients and terms of a binomial expansion. It also allows for the simplification of complicated expressions and the calculation of probabilities in probability theory.

How do you find the coefficients of the binomial series?

The coefficients of the binomial series can be found using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficient of the kth term in the expansion of (a+b)^n is equal to n choose k, or nCk. This can also be represented as (n!)/(k!(n-k)!).

What is the relationship between the binomial series and Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers that can be used to find the coefficients of the binomial series. The numbers in each row of the triangle represent the coefficients of the corresponding term in the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n, with the first row representing n=0 and the subsequent rows representing n=1, 2, 3, and so on.

What is the convergence of the binomial series?

The binomial series is a convergent series, meaning that as the value of n increases, the series will approach a finite value. However, the series will only converge if the absolute value of x is less than 1. If the absolute value of x is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.