Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a water purification system for developing communities

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    For my senior project for my BS. in mechanical engineering , I'm thinking of designing a water purification system, perhaps powered by solar energy. The senior is a one semester course for a team of two Mechanical engineers. I know that one way of doing this is passing the water through sand/charcoal/gravel and than through UV treatment . However ,I'm not sure how much of the mechanical engineering principles I have take could be applied to this project. Does this make a good one semester project .Also there is no sponsoring so how high could the budget get if I want to make a prototype.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2
    Hi TJ00343,

I just saw your post and realized this may be way too late to reply. My company builds water purification units for disaster responders. We're about to launch a solar powered WPS that fits into a suitcase! I'd be happy to chat if you need any help.

Regards,

Steve Neill
    President, AidGear
    http://www.aidgear.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook