Pipe Design to pump sea water from the ocean to a boiler via intermediate tanks

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
AverageEngineer
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
Trouble using formulas or overthinking...
I am in the process of designing a pumping/piping system for fun, have no experience in this field, but I enjoy learning. I have been using ANSI/ASME codes in the project quite a bit.

For the system I am using 4" nom. Schedule 40 316 SS pipe. The reason I selected the pipe is because the objective for this project is to pump sea water from the ocean to a boiler, water will transfer to a tank to cool then be pumped up a hill to another tank. The tank is suppose to provide water to the made up town of 25,000 civilians. I am only factoring in drinking water, not other uses to keep it simple.

The first leg of pipe will see a 90 degree bend. I looked in ASME B31.1-2001, (only ANSI/ASME text I could find online for free), on page 16 "104.1 Straight Pipe" it gives me two formulas for minimal wall thickness. I chose to use formula (3)' to determine min. wall thickness.

Here is the link to the ANSI/ASME https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0314/ML031470592.pdf

The variables are the following in the formula:
P = Design Pressure
D_o = Outer Diameter in my case 4.5" (I am using the info for the pipe here: https://titanium-stainless-steel.continentalsteel.com/item/stainless-steel-pipes/stainless-steel-pipe--type-316-schedule-40s/316-4000-4500-40s#Typical Mechanical Properties

S = Allowable stress in pipe material (PSI)
F = Joint Factor, E = 1.0 for seamless, E = 0.85 for ERW pipe
Y or y = Wall thickness coefficient in ASME B31.3 Table 304.1.1 for ferritic steel, y = 0.4
W = Weld joint strength reduction factor
A = Corrosion allowance typically 0.5

It took me awhile to figure out how to determine design pressure. I used the formula
P_design = 2 * S * t / D_outer * SF

where,
S = Material Strength (PSI)
SF = Safety Factor

My pressure at yield was 4,740 PSI and desired was 3160 PSI using SF = 1.5

On Table 102.4.5 it gives me 1.14 * t_m which gave me a radius of r = 0.745 inches with a 0.653 in wall thickness. This radius would be minimal, correct? Too me it seems like such a small radius, of course the wall thickness is quite large. What do you think?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AverageEngineer said:
Summary:: Trouble using formulas or overthinking...

I am in the process of designing a pumping/piping system for fun, have no experience in this field, but I enjoy learning. I have been using ANSI/ASME codes in the project quite a bit.

For the system I am using 4" nom. Schedule 40 316 SS pipe. The reason I selected the pipe is because the objective for this project is to pump sea water from the ocean to a boiler, water will transfer to a tank to cool then be pumped up a hill to another tank. The tank is suppose to provide water to the made up town of 25,000 civilians. I am only factoring in drinking water, not other uses to keep it simple.

The first leg of pipe will see a 90 degree bend. I looked in ASME B31.1-2001, (only ANSI/ASME text I could find online for free), on page 16 "104.1 Straight Pipe" it gives me two formulas for minimal wall thickness. I chose to use formula (3)' to determine min. wall thickness.

Here is the link to the ANSI/ASME https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML0314/ML031470592.pdf

The variables are the following in the formula:
P = Design Pressure
D_o = Outer Diameter in my case 4.5" (I am using the info for the pipe here: https://titanium-stainless-steel.continentalsteel.com/item/stainless-steel-pipes/stainless-steel-pipe--type-316-schedule-40s/316-4000-4500-40s#Typical Mechanical Properties

S = Allowable stress in pipe material (PSI)
F = Joint Factor, E = 1.0 for seamless, E = 0.85 for ERW pipe
Y or y = Wall thickness coefficient in ASME B31.3 Table 304.1.1 for ferritic steel, y = 0.4
W = Weld joint strength reduction factor
A = Corrosion allowance typically 0.5

It took me awhile to figure out how to determine design pressure. I used the formula
P_design = 2 * S * t / D_outer * SF

where,
S = Material Strength (PSI)
SF = Safety Factor

My pressure at yield was 4,740 PSI and desired was 3160 PSI using SF = 1.5

On Table 102.4.5 it gives me 1.14 * t_m which gave me a radius of r = 0.745 inches with a 0.653 in wall thickness. This radius would be minimal, correct? Too me it seems like such a small radius, of course the wall thickness is quite large. What do you think?
You either misused table 102.4.5 or miscalculated t_m.
1.14 is additional thickness multiplier to t_m.

For your case, t_m/Douter=Pdesign*SF/(2*S)~(0.04-0.06)
 
Okay... Where does the equation come from?
 
AverageEngineer said:
Okay... Where does the equation come from?
It is transformed equation from your source.
 
Not an expert on piping design, but I've seen very high safety factors for stainless steel pipe. Safety factors in the order of 8 to 12. Not sure why so high though, but if i compare that against 1.5 then i have to wonder if that's maybe too low.