Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detect the cosmic neutrino background

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm wondering if it will ever be possible to detect the cosmic neutrino background. I don't know all that much about neutrino detection, so I'd really like to hear some thoughts / speculations.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Re: Cnb

It's definitely something we're interested in, but there are some significant difficulties:

1. The energies of these neutrinos are very, very low, meaning many of the ways that current neutrino detectors work just can't detect them. For example, many current detectors operate by waiting for the incoming neutrino to smack something and create a fast-moving electron that emits Cherenkov radiation. That detection method isn't going to work with neutrinos that have energies far below the mass of the electron.

2. Many of the neutrinos will, by now, have slowed to the point that they will have been captured by massive objects like galaxies and galaxy clusters. This will muck up their distribution, making it more difficult to detect their origin, even if we can detect them.

Personally, I would tend to suspect that we'll be capable of detecting the cosmic gravitational wave background before we detect the cosmic neutrino background. But I'll admit I'm not close enough to those fields to know for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook