1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determaning a function from a progression?

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    If i have a progression that looks like this

n | progression | Mathmatical formula
    --------------------------------------
    1 | x(x-1) .........................| x(x-n)
    2 | x(x-2)(x-1) ..................| x(x-n)(x-n-1)
    3 | x(x-3)(x-2)(x-1)...........| x(x-n)(x-n-1)(x-n-2))

Every time n increases by one a new term (x-n) is added to the previous terms. How do I turn this into a function of n? I know that as n increases then we get (x-(n-1))*(x-(n-2)) ... (x-(n-(n-1)))) n times but how do you express this as a mathematical function? A function that adds keeps adding n terms (x-n)(x-n-1)(x-n-2)etc... all the way down to the last term (x-n-n-1)

Can anyone help me or give me a hint about how to construct a function of n, such that the above progression holds true for any n we put into the function?

I know that x! = x*x-1*x-2*--*x-x+1

but saying f(n)= (x-n)! does not make sense since we have two variales (x and n) , I'm stuck and would really appreciate a hint :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2
    Wait I think i might have igured it out - or am i doing the math wrong?

I know that
    k from 1 to n is defined as k = 1*2*3*4...n

Therefore it must be true that

k(x/k - 1) going from 1 to n is defined as

∏k(x/k-1) =( (1*x)/1 -1) * ((2*x)/2-2) * ((3*x)/3-3) = (x -1)(x-2)(x-3) etc.. p to n :) Is this corret usage of the mathematical multiplication operator ∏?

So the function for this progression is
    x*∏k(x/k-1)

4. Jun 23, 2015 #3
    See the Pochammer symbol for this function and the related closed form thanks to the Gamma function :
    x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-n)=Gamma (x+1) / Gamma(x+1-n)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook