Determination of spin-parity of Hoyle state

In summary, the J-pi states of 8Be and 4He are both 0+ and the Hoyle state in 12C also has a J-pi of 0+. The selection rules for transitions from 8Be to 12C involve two types of multipole (electric and magnetic) which differ in their parity. The allowed states are determined by the change in angular momentum, with the fastest transition being the electric dipole (E1) which has a change of J = -1, 0, or 1, with 0 -> 0 not allowed. Since a single-photon transition from Be-8 or He-4 to C-12's ground state or Hoyle resonance is not possible
ridge1988
I've completely forgotten how to do this/ not sure I ever really knew. I did some selection rules for in nuclear physics when you've got magnetic / electric transitions, but I don't think its the same and either way I don't remember it and am a bit lost.

The J-pi states of 8Be and 4He are 0+ and 0+.

The Hoyle state in 12C also has J-pi of 0+ . I've forgotten how you calculate what the allowed states are, i.e what the selection rules are for going from 8Be to 12C?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Selection rule has the details. You carry over the discussion there of atoms' electronic transitions to nuclei.

It's in error about multipoles being 2n poles; it's more like 2n poles. But the rest of it looks correct.

There are two kinds of multipole: electric and magnetic, which differ by their parity:
E(n): parity (-1)n
M(n): parity (-1)n+1
for multipole n. From angular-momentum addition, the conditions on the initial and final angular momentum are:

|Jf - Ji| <= n <= |Jf + Ji|

The fastest transition, the electric dipole, E1, has change of J = -1, 0, or 1, with 0 -> 0 not allowed.

So there would be no way for Be-8 and He-4 to go to C-12's ground state or Hoyle resonance while emitting a single photon. It must therefore be a two-photon process:

(initial state) -(photon)-> (another excited state) -(photon)-> (final state)

I went to the Nudat 2 nuclear-physics database at Brookhaven, and looked up C-12.

The ground state is 0+
The Hoyle resonance is 0+, 7652.4 keV

However, there is an excited state in between: 2+, 4438.9 keV

A single-photon transition from the Hoyle resonance to this state would be E2, electric quadrupole, like a single-photon transition from there to the ground state.

What is the Hoyle state?

The Hoyle state is a highly excited state of the carbon-12 nucleus. It was first described by astronomer Fred Hoyle in 1954 as a necessary step in the process of nucleosynthesis, the creation of heavier elements from lighter ones in the cores of stars.

Why is determining the spin-parity of the Hoyle state important?

Determining the spin-parity of the Hoyle state is important because it helps us better understand the structure of the carbon-12 nucleus and the mechanisms behind nucleosynthesis. It also has implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

How is the spin-parity of the Hoyle state determined?

The spin-parity of the Hoyle state is determined through experiments using particle accelerators. By studying the properties of the particles emitted from the Hoyle state, scientists can infer its spin and parity. This process involves analyzing data and comparing it to theoretical models.

What is the current understanding of the spin-parity of the Hoyle state?

The current understanding is that the Hoyle state has a spin of 0 and a positive parity. This was confirmed in experiments conducted in 2011 and 2012, which provided strong evidence for this long-standing hypothesis.

What are the implications of the confirmed spin-parity of the Hoyle state?

The confirmed spin-parity of the Hoyle state has implications for our understanding of nuclear structure and the processes of nucleosynthesis. It also has implications for the development of new theoretical models and the potential discovery of new particles or forces in the future.