Determination of spin-parity of Hoyle state

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ridge1988
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Determination State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
ridge1988
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I've completely forgotten how to do this/ not sure I ever really knew. I did some selection rules for in nuclear physics when you've got magnetic / electric transitions, but I don't think its the same and either way I don't remember it and am a bit lost.

The J-pi states of 8Be and 4He are 0+ and 0+.

The Hoyle state in 12C also has J-pi of 0+ . I've forgotten how you calculate what the allowed states are, i.e what the selection rules are for going from 8Be to 12C?

Thanks!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Selection rule has the details. You carry over the discussion there of atoms' electronic transitions to nuclei.

It's in error about multipoles being 2n poles; it's more like 2n poles. But the rest of it looks correct.

There are two kinds of multipole: electric and magnetic, which differ by their parity:
E(n): parity (-1)n
M(n): parity (-1)n+1
for multipole n. From angular-momentum addition, the conditions on the initial and final angular momentum are:

|Jf - Ji| <= n <= |Jf + Ji|

The fastest transition, the electric dipole, E1, has change of J = -1, 0, or 1, with 0 -> 0 not allowed.

So there would be no way for Be-8 and He-4 to go to C-12's ground state or Hoyle resonance while emitting a single photon. It must therefore be a two-photon process:

(initial state) -(photon)-> (another excited state) -(photon)-> (final state)

I went to the Nudat 2 nuclear-physics database at Brookhaven, and looked up C-12.

The ground state is 0+
The Hoyle resonance is 0+, 7652.4 keV

However, there is an excited state in between: 2+, 4438.9 keV

A single-photon transition from the Hoyle resonance to this state would be E2, electric quadrupole, like a single-photon transition from there to the ground state.