• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Determine the equilibrium pH of aqueous solutions for the following strong acids

• Thread starter tobyracine
  • Start date
Determine the equilibrium pH of aqueous solutions for the following strong acids or bases: (a) 257mg/L of HSO4- ; (b) 10nM NaOH ; (c) 75ug/L of HNO3

Answers and Replies

AGNuke
Gold Member
Look for their respective Ka values on net.

I kind of figured it out except for the first one, because HSO4- can become an acid or a base depending what it's mixed with so I don't know what to do, do I get the pH or the pOH? And how?

Thanks

Not totally relevant to the OP, but part (b) of this exercise is nonsensical in any practical terms. I bring this up because we are in the "Chemistry" forum rather than the "Chemistry Homework" forum.

The answer to a formal calculation to part (b) will only bear any relationship to reality if the concentration of carbon dioxide/bicarbonate in the water is much smaller than that of the hydroxyl -- say 1 nM or less. Any normal aqueous solution will be acting as a carbonate buffer for such low levels of hydroxyl, and I would like to know how anyone proposes to prepare a water sample that is accessible for normal laboratory work, but less than 1 nM in bicarbonate/carbon dioxide.

Borek
Mentor
It is a typical trick question asked every year :smile:

And heck, you are right about homework... Moving the thread.

toby: please read forum rules.