1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the equilibrium pH of aqueous solutions for the following strong acids

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    Determine the equilibrium pH of aqueous solutions for the following strong acids or bases: (a) 257mg/L of HSO4- ; (b) 10nM NaOH ; (c) 75ug/L of HNO3

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Look for their respective Ka values on net.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    I kind of figured it out except for the first one, because HSO4- can become an acid or a base depending what it's mixed with so I don't know what to do, do I get the pH or the pOH? And how?

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    Thanks

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6
    Not totally relevant to the OP, but part (b) of this exercise is nonsensical in any practical terms. I bring this up because we are in the "Chemistry" forum rather than the "Chemistry Homework" forum.

The answer to a formal calculation to part (b) will only bear any relationship to reality if the concentration of carbon dioxide/bicarbonate in the water is much smaller than that of the hydroxyl -- say 1 nM or less. Any normal aqueous solution will be acting as a carbonate buffer for such low levels of hydroxyl, and I would like to know how anyone proposes to prepare a water sample that is accessible for normal laboratory work, but less than 1 nM in bicarbonate/carbon dioxide.

8. Sep 27, 2012 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is a typical trick question asked every year :smile:

And heck, you are right about homework... Moving the thread.

toby: please read forum rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook