1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine ga

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine ga

Okay...I know how to solve half the problem. I know how to balance the problem but I'm not sure what to do next. I'm really bad at this stuff.

Here's the question:

Determine the mass of sodium chloride produced when 2.5 moles of chlorine gas reacts with sodium. Na + Cl2 NaCl (be sure to balance the reaction first!)

And this is the balanced equation:

2 Na + Cl2 = 2 NaCl

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2
    Assuming it is reacting with excess sodium, Chlorine becomes the limiting reagent.
    So the moles of NaCl should be 5 moles (since 2 : 1 = 2 stoichiometric ratio).
    Using the formula:
    #of moles = mass(g)/molar mass
    Some basic algebra:
    Mass = 5 x (22.99 + 35.45)
    = 292.2 g

Hmmm...doesn't look right..
    Did something wrong, anyone correct me please?

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks fine.

Keep in mind for the future that it is better to guide the OP through suggestions, questions and hints than to write up the complete solution. The former approach is often a much more effective teaching tool. And if you haven't already, please take a look at our posting Guidelines.

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
    Thanks. Hopefully I'm remember that for the test. *fingers crossed* It seems easy enough but when you suck at this stuff, it's hard to remember everything. Thanks again. 8)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?