1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the mean of the position <x> in a state

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everyone...

I'm kinda stuck with a problem I'm trying to do.
    The problem states:

Express the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] by the ladder operators [itex]a_{+}[/itex] and [itex]a_{-}[/itex], and determine the mean of the position [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle[/itex] in the state [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| 3 \right\rangle + \left| 2 \right\rangle)[/tex]

Hamiltonian for a one dimensional harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^{2}\hat{x}^{2},[/tex]
    where [itex]w[/itex] is the oscillators frequency, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are the operators for position and momentum. The normalized energy eigenfunctions for [itex]H[/itex] is denoted [itex]\left| n \right\rangle[/itex], where [itex]n = 0,1,2,....[/itex] so that:

[tex]\hat{H}\left| n \right\rangle = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbarw\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first is easy, since:

[tex]\hat{x} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}(a_{+} + a_{-}).[/tex]

My problem is finding the mean of the position.

I tried to do it like this:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}\int \psi^{*}_{n}(a_{+} + a_{-})\psi_{n} dx[/tex]

And that didn't go well. It got very confusing, so I was not sure if I was on the right track or not. So here I am.

I know the answer should be:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{mw}},[/tex]
    but again, I'm kinda lost atm.

So I was hoping any of you could give me a clue. Something in my heads tells me it's pretty simple, but I really can't figure it out right now, so :)

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Hint: what are
    [tex]a_+\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
    and
    [tex]a_-\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
    equal to?

4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    [tex]a_+ \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} \lvert n+1\rangle[/tex]
    and
    [tex]a_- \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \lvert n-1\rangle[/tex]

I think I did something like that, but as I said. I may have messed it up. But I was right with the thought I had ? I just need to redo the math perhaps ?

5. Aug 12, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The idea is to do the problem without resorting to doing any integrals. Just use the orthogonality of the eigenstates. For example,

[tex]\langle 1|a_+|0 \rangle = \langle 1|\sqrt{1}|1\rangle = 1[/tex]

6. Aug 12, 2010 #5
    Hmmm... I think I may have it now. But what if the ladder operators are used on state |3> fx. ? At least the a+ operator. Then it would raise it to state 4, but that state isn't represented here, so will that just equal 0, or... ?

7. Aug 12, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that term will drop out.

8. Aug 12, 2010 #7
    Thank you very much. I thought it was what I did to start with, but I just messed it up.
    But I got it now :)

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook