Determine the mean of the position <x> in a state

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Ylle
Messages
77
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello everyone...

I'm kinda stuck with a problem I'm trying to do.
The problem states:

Express the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] by the ladder operators [itex]a_{+}[/itex] and [itex]a_{-}[/itex], and determine the mean of the position [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle[/itex] in the state [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex].

Homework Equations


[tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| 3 \right\rangle + \left| 2 \right\rangle)[/tex]

Hamiltonian for a one dimensional harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^{2}\hat{x}^{2},[/tex]
where [itex]w[/itex] is the oscillators frequency, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are the operators for position and momentum. The normalized energy eigenfunctions for [itex]H[/itex] is denoted [itex]\left| n \right\rangle[/itex], where [itex]n = 0,1,2,...[/itex] so that:

[tex]\hat{H}\left| n \right\rangle = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbarw\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


The first is easy, since:

[tex]\hat{x} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}(a_{+} + a_{-}).[/tex]

My problem is finding the mean of the position.

I tried to do it like this:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}\int \psi^{*}_{n}(a_{+} + a_{-})\psi_{n} dx[/tex]

And that didn't go well. It got very confusing, so I was not sure if I was on the right track or not. So here I am.

I know the answer should be:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{mw}},[/tex]
but again, I'm kinda lost atm.

So I was hoping any of you could give me a clue. Something in my heads tells me it's pretty simple, but I really can't figure it out right now, so :)Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what are
[tex]a_+\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_-\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
equal to?
 
diazona said:
Hint: what are
[tex]a_+\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_-\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
equal to?
[tex]a_+ \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} \lvert n+1\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_- \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \lvert n-1\rangle[/tex]

I think I did something like that, but as I said. I may have messed it up. But I was right with the thought I had ? I just need to redo the math perhaps ?
 
The idea is to do the problem without resorting to doing any integrals. Just use the orthogonality of the eigenstates. For example,

[tex]\langle 1|a_+|0 \rangle = \langle 1|\sqrt{1}|1\rangle = 1[/tex]
 
vela said:
The idea is to do the problem without resorting to doing any integrals. Just use the orthogonality of the eigenstates. For example,

[tex]\langle 1|a_+|0 \rangle = \langle 1|\sqrt{1}|1\rangle = 1[/tex]
Hmmm... I think I may have it now. But what if the ladder operators are used on state |3> fx. ? At least the a+ operator. Then it would raise it to state 4, but that state isn't represented here, so will that just equal 0, or... ?
 
Yes, that term will drop out.
 
Thank you very much. I thought it was what I did to start with, but I just messed it up.
But I got it now :)

Thank you.