Difference between expectation value of ##x## and classical amplitude of oscillation for an harmonic oscillator

Gabri110
Homework Statement
The oscillator is in the state ##\lvert \psi (t)\rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( e^{-i (n-\frac{1}{2})\omega t}\lvert n-1 \rangle + e^{-i (n+\frac{1}{2})\omega t}\lvert n \rangle \right)##.

Calculate the amplitude of oscillation of a classical oscillator of this frequency and energy ##E = \langle\psi (t)\rvert H \lvert\psi (t)\rangle## and show that it differs from your result for ##\langle\psi (t)\rvert x \lvert\psi (t)\rangle## by a factor independent of ##n##.
Relevant Equations
##\lvert \psi (t)\rangle = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( e^{-i (n-\frac{1}{2})\omega t}\lvert n-1 \rangle + e^{-i (n+\frac{1}{2})\omega t}\lvert n \rangle \right)##
Using the ladder operators I can easily compute ##E = \langle H\rangle = \hbar \omega n##, so I can find the amplitude of the classical oscillator, as ##E = \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x_{max}^2##, thus, ##x_{max} = \sqrt{\dfrac{2 E}{m \omega^2}} = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\hbar n}{m \omega}}##.

The expectation value of ##x## can be also easily computed using the ladder operators. I find ##\langle x\rangle = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\hbar n}{m \omega}}\cos{\omega t}##. This is clearly a problem, as I find that ##\langle x\rangle## is time dependent (and the classical solution isn't!). The difference is ##x_{max} - \langle x\rangle = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\hbar n}{m \omega}} (1 - \cos{\omega t})##, which isn't independent of ##n##, as the exercise statement says.

Can someone help me find where I have made a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reread the question. What does “factor” mean?

Likes Gabri110
vela said:
Reread the question. What does “factor” mean?
Oh my... Thank you, I feel so dumb right now...

Gabri110 said:
I find ##\langle x\rangle = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\hbar n}{m \omega}}\cos{\omega t}##.
I got a slightly different result for the expression inside the square root. Of course, I might be the one making a mistake. But I calculated it two ways: using the ladder operators and using the known wavefunctions for the harmonic oscillator.

Also, since ##\langle x\rangle## oscillates harmonically, I wonder if it would be more appropriate to compare the amplitude, ##x_{max}##, of the classical oscillator with the amplitude of the ##\langle x\rangle## oscillation. I'm not sure.

Likes Gabri110
Yeah, my bad, I had forgotten to divide by 2 the ladder operators...

Likes TSny

1. What is the expectation value of x for a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of x for a harmonic oscillator is the average value of the position of the oscillator over multiple measurements. It is calculated by taking the integral of the position probability distribution function multiplied by the position variable, from negative infinity to positive infinity.

2. What is the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator?

The classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator is the maximum displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position. It is determined by the initial conditions of the system, such as the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

3. What is the difference between the expectation value of x and the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator?

The difference between the expectation value of x and the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator lies in their definitions and calculations. The expectation value is a probabilistic concept that represents the average value of the position, while the classical amplitude is a deterministic quantity that represents the maximum displacement.

4. How does the expectation value of x compare to the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of x and the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator may have different values, as they represent different aspects of the oscillator. However, in the classical limit (when the quantum effects are negligible), the expectation value of x approaches the classical amplitude of oscillation.

5. Why is the expectation value of x different from the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of x is different from the classical amplitude of oscillation for a harmonic oscillator because it takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. The classical amplitude is a deterministic quantity that does not consider the uncertainty in the position of the oscillator, while the expectation value takes into account all possible positions and their probabilities.