Determine the speed with which he must throw the ball

• Thread starter evilphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of a student taking a summer course in physics and their difficulty with homework assignments. They then proceed to ask for help with three specific questions, including determining the speed of a quarterback throwing a football, calculating the time it takes for one car to catch up with another, and finding the speed of a car driving off a cliff. The expert advises breaking down the velocity into components for the first question, writing the position of each car as a function of time for the second, and considering the effect of gravity on vertical velocity for the third.
evilphysics
Being the overachiever I am, i decided to take a summer course in physics to get ahead of the game... BAD IDEA. I'm really struggling with some things in this class, homework in particular. I can answer the examples in the book well, but when i am left to answer the actual questions i feel it's in another language. These are out of Physics, 7th Ed Cutnell:

1) A quarterback claims he can throw the football a horizontal distance of 183m (200yd). Furthermore, he claims that he can do this by launching the ball at 30 degrees above horizontal. Determine the speed with which he must throw the ball. Assume the ball is launched and caught at the same vertical level and ignore air resistance. For comparison, a baseball pitcher who can accuratly throw a fastball at 45 m/s (100 mph) is exceptional.

I started by drawing a diagram. I also worte out the variables as follows:
Initial V = 0 A = G = -9.8 m/s^2
V = ? X = 183 m
I then used the equation V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax which corrisponds to:
V^2 = -4000. I took the square root of this and I came out with 63.2 m/s. Can anyone Varify?

2)Two cars A and B are traveling in the same direction, although car A is 186m behind car B. The speed of A is 24.4 m/s and the speed of B is 18.6 m/s. How much time does it take for A to catch B?

I didn't even know where to start on this question.

3)A car drive straight off a cliff that is 54m high. The police at the scene of the accident observe that the point of impact is 130m from the base of the cliff. How fast was the car travling?

Once again i don't know where to start with this equation either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post in the correct forum; there is a section devoted specifically to homework help.

For question 1, you must break the velocity into components (horizontal and vertical). Gravity only affects the vertical component of velocity; use this to your advantage.

For question 2, write the position of each car as a function of time. This should not be too hard as you know the velocity of each car.

For question 3, recall that gravity only affects the vertical component of velocity. How long does it take an object to fall from 54 m? What does this tell you about the horizontal component of velocity?

I hope this is of some help.

1. What is meant by determining the speed of a thrown ball?

When we talk about determining the speed of a thrown ball, we are referring to calculating the velocity at which the ball is moving as it leaves the thrower's hand. This can be measured in meters per second or miles per hour.

2. Why is it important to determine the speed of a thrown ball?

Determining the speed of a thrown ball is important because it helps us understand the physical characteristics and capabilities of the ball and the person throwing it. It also allows us to analyze and improve throwing techniques in sports and other activities.

3. What factors affect the speed of a thrown ball?

The speed of a thrown ball can be affected by factors such as the force applied by the thrower, the angle at which the ball is thrown, the weight and shape of the ball, and air resistance. Additionally, external factors like wind and altitude can also impact the speed of a thrown ball.

4. How can the speed of a thrown ball be determined?

The speed of a thrown ball can be determined using a variety of methods, such as using a radar gun or a speedometer. Other methods include using high-speed cameras and motion sensors to track the movement of the ball and calculate its speed, or using mathematical equations based on the distance and time of the throw.

5. Can the speed of a thrown ball be changed?

Yes, the speed of a thrown ball can be changed by altering the force applied, the angle of the throw, or the physical characteristics of the ball. Additionally, external factors like wind and air resistance can also impact the speed of a thrown ball.