Determine the thermal transmittance of the floor

• Thread starter stevenH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation is about determining the thermal transmittance of a floor with specific dimensions and materials. The question asks for the thermal transmittance of the floor, as well as with an additional insulation layer. The suggestion given is to Google "thermal transmittance" for simple formulas to solve the problem. The speaker also offers to provide a solution if needed.
stevenH
Hi I am new here but I am really stuck with this question, I am just looking for any pointers on how to complete this question, thanks in advance for any replys... stevenH

A floor in contact with the ground and having four exposed edges measures 20m by 10m.

i)Determine the thermal transmittance of the floor

ii)If the floor is surfaced with 15mm of wood block having a thermal conductivity of 0.14
W/mK, determine its thermal transmittance coefficient

iii)If the floor has a thermal insulation membrane of EPS having a thermal conductivity of 0.035W/mK in addition to its wood block finish, determine the transmittance coefficient.

Engineering news on Phys.org
i guess your exam is over by now but if you are still "really stuck" on this problem I would suggest Googling "thermal transmittance" and i you'll get some pretty simple formulas to calculate this.

I'm really not trying to be a smart *** here and if you are still stuck PM me and i'll send you a solution;)

1. What is thermal transmittance and why is it important for floors?

Thermal transmittance, also known as U-value, measures the rate at which heat is transferred through a material. It is important for floors because it affects the overall energy efficiency of a building, as well as the comfort level and heating/cooling costs for the occupants.

2. How is the thermal transmittance of a floor determined?

The thermal transmittance of a floor is determined by measuring the thickness and thermal conductivity of the floor materials, as well as the air temperature on both sides of the floor. The calculation involves taking into account the heat loss through conduction, convection, and radiation.

3. What factors can affect the thermal transmittance of a floor?

The thermal transmittance of a floor can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the type and thickness of the floor materials, the quality of installation, the presence of air gaps or insulation, and the outside temperature and weather conditions.

4. What is considered a good thermal transmittance for a floor?

A good thermal transmittance for a floor depends on the climate and building regulations in a specific location. In general, a lower U-value indicates better thermal insulation and energy efficiency. In the United States, the recommended U-value for floors is typically between 0.13 and 0.15 W/m²K.

5. How can the thermal transmittance of a floor be improved?

The thermal transmittance of a floor can be improved by using better insulation materials, sealing any air gaps or cracks, and ensuring proper installation techniques. Additionally, choosing a flooring material with a lower thermal conductivity can also help improve the U-value of a floor.