Determine when the velocity of the particle is zero

In summary, the conversation discussed a particle with an initial position of X=0m and an initial velocity of v=-6.0m/s. Its acceleration is given by the function [1.0 m/s^2 + (0.25 m/s^3)t] where t is in seconds. The person suggested plotting the acceleration vs. time and determining when the velocity of the particle is zero. However, they were unsure how to find this from the graph. The expert clarified that while acceleration is always positive, the area under the curve represents the change in velocity, not the velocity itself. Therefore, to find v=0, the change in velocity would need to be 6, as -6+6=0. The
you_of_eh
A particle has an initial position X=0m and an initial velocity v=-6.0m/s. Its acceleration is given by the function [1.0 m/s^2 + (0.25 m/s^3)t] where t is in seconds.

Plot the acceleration vs. time. From your plot, determine when the velocity of the particle is zero.

-ok so if when I plot this line, because acceleration is always positive, wouldn't the line just have a constant positive slope. I know you're supposed to find the area under the curve to get the velocity. But when the velocity equals 0? I don't get how I could find this from my
a vs t graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
you_of_eh said:
-ok so if when I plot this line, because acceleration is always positive, wouldn't the line just have a constant positive slope.
Yes.
I know you're supposed to find the area under the curve to get the velocity.

Actually, the area under the curve is the change in velocity, not the velocity itself; that's why the question gives you the initial velocity. So if you want v=0, delta v has to be 6 since -6+6=0. When is the area under the graph 6?

Based on the given information, the velocity of the particle will be zero at a specific time when the acceleration is equal to the negative of the initial velocity. In this case, the initial velocity is -6.0m/s, so the acceleration must be equal to 6.0m/s^2 for the velocity to be zero.

To determine when this occurs, we can set the given acceleration function equal to 6.0m/s^2 and solve for t:

1.0 m/s^2 + (0.25 m/s^3)t = 6.0 m/s^2
(0.25 m/s^3)t = 5.0 m/s^2
t = 20 seconds

Therefore, at 20 seconds, the velocity of the particle will be zero. This can also be confirmed by looking at the a vs t graph. At t = 20 seconds, the acceleration will be 6.0m/s^2, which corresponds to the point where the line crosses the x-axis, indicating zero velocity.

It is important to note that the velocity of the particle may also reach zero at other points on the graph, but at these points, the acceleration will not be equal to 6.0m/s^2. The given information only specifies the initial velocity and acceleration function, so we can only determine the specific time when the velocity is zero based on this information.

1. What does it mean for the velocity of a particle to be zero?

When the velocity of a particle is zero, it means that the particle is not moving at all. It has no speed or direction, and it is at rest.

2. How is the velocity of a particle calculated?

The velocity of a particle is calculated by dividing the displacement of the particle by the time taken to cover that displacement. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. Why is it important to determine when the velocity of a particle is zero?

Determining when the velocity of a particle is zero can help us understand the motion of the particle and its position at a given time. It is also important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing machines or predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

4. How can we determine when the velocity of a particle is zero?

We can determine when the velocity of a particle is zero by finding the point at which the particle's velocity changes from positive to negative, or vice versa. This is called the particle's point of reversal, where its velocity changes direction.

5. Can the velocity of a particle be zero at any point during its motion?

Yes, the velocity of a particle can be zero at any point during its motion. This can happen when the particle is momentarily at rest, or when it reaches its highest or lowest point in a curved motion. However, the velocity of a particle is constantly changing, so it can only be zero for an instant before it changes again.