1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine when the velocity of the particle is zero

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    A particle has an initial position X=0m and an initial velocity v=-6.0m/s. Its acceleration is given by the function [1.0 m/s^2 + (0.25 m/s^3)t] where t is in seconds.

Plot the acceleration vs. time. From your plot, determine when the velocity of the particle is zero.

-ok so if when I plot this line, because acceleration is always positive, wouldn't the line just have a constant positive slope. I know you're supposed to find the area under the curve to get the velocity. But when the velocity equals 0? I don't get how I could find this from my
    a vs t graph.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Yes.
    Actually, the area under the curve is the change in velocity, not the velocity itself; that's why the question gives you the initial velocity. So if you want v=0, delta v has to be 6 since -6+6=0. When is the area under the graph 6?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook