Determining if the system is consistent

• I
  • Thread starter cookiemnstr510510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining if a system of equations is consistent or not. The user shares their attempt at solving the system using Gaussian elimination and the conclusion that the system is consistent. The concept of consistency is explained and it is determined that the system is consistent because it has at least one solution.
cookiemnstr510510
Hello all,
I have the "correct" answer from Chegg. However, I am not satisfied that I really understand.
Heres the problem:

Determine if the system is consistent. Do not completely solve the system.

2X1-4X4=-10
3X2+3X3=0
X3+4X4=-1
-3X1+2X2+3X3+X4=5

Here is my attempt:
I first write the system in the augmented matrix form, then reduce it to the "gaussian elimination" form (I think that's what my teacher called it).

##\begin{vmatrix}
2 & 0 & 0 & -4 & -10 \\
0 & 3 & 3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
-3 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 5
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I multiply Row 1 by 1/2 ((R1)(1/2))
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 3 & 3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
-3 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 5
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I Add 3Row 1's to Row 4 (R4+3R1)
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 3 & 3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
0 & 2 & 3 & -5 & -10
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I multiply Row 2 by 1/3 ((R2)(1/3))
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
0 & 2 & 3 & -5 & -10
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I subtract 2Row1 from Row 4 (R4-2R1)
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 1 & -5 & -10
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I subtract Row 3 from Row 4 (R4-R3)
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -9 & -9
\end{vmatrix}##
Now I multiply Row 4 by (-1/9) ((R4)(-1/9))
##\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & -2 & -5 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1
\end{vmatrix}##

So at this point we see that in Row 4 that X4=1 and this means it is consistent?!
I don't see how this means it is consistent.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What is relation of rank of matrix with the dimension of matrix? What should be kernel of this matrix?

Abhishek11235 said:
Hint: What is relation of rank of matrix with the dimension of matrix? What should be kernel of this matrix?
Hmm, I don't know what any of that means :(

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Determine if the system is consistent.
Du you know what "consistent" means in this context?

Likes cookiemnstr510510
Erland said:
Du you know what "consistent" means in this context?
I know that for something to be inconsistent your final answer couldn't contain anything like:
0X1+0X2...+0Xn=a, where a does not equal zero.

From this definition of an inconsistent system, I can see that as long as you have a coefficient in front of X equal to a number, that makes it consistent.

Since the last entry is in the form of a consistent equation, this makes the entire system consistent?

cookiemnstr510510 said:
Since the last entry is in the form of a consistent equation, this makes the entire system consistent?
Yes. That an equation system is consistent means that it has at least one solution. And you realize that ##X_4=1## in your system, and that you can find values of the other variables by back substitution, so the system is consistent.

Likes jim mcnamara and cookiemnstr510510
Erland said:
Yes. That an equation system is consistent means that it has at least one solution. And you realize that ##X_4=1## in your system, and that you can find values of the other variables by back substitution, so the system is consistent.
awesome! THank you!

1. What does it mean for a system to be consistent?

Consistency in a system means that there is a solution or set of solutions that satisfy all of the equations or constraints within the system. In other words, the system has a logical and feasible solution.

2. How do you determine if a system is consistent?

To determine if a system is consistent, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations in the system to see if they can be satisfied simultaneously.

3. What happens if a system is inconsistent?

If a system is inconsistent, it means that there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations or constraints within the system. This could be due to conflicting or contradictory information in the equations.

4. Can a system be both consistent and inconsistent?

No, a system cannot be both consistent and inconsistent. It can only be one or the other. If a system is consistent, it means that there is a solution, while an inconsistent system has no solution.

5. How does the number of equations and variables affect the consistency of a system?

The number of equations and variables in a system can affect its consistency. If there are more equations than variables, the system may be overdetermined and have no solution. If there are more variables than equations, the system may be underdetermined and have infinite solutions. However, if the number of equations and variables are equal, the system is more likely to be consistent.