Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Determining molecular resonance frequencies

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    I have been searching for ways to calculate resonance frequencies of complex molecules. I know that doing so is extremely complex, especially if that molecule contains many elements, but perhaps it could be feasible to target a specific component of a large molecule, such as a nucleus in a cell, through means of resonant frequencies thus being able to split or manipulate the molecular structure. I would be grateful for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question doesn't make much sense from the viewpoint of hard science, where terms are defined in an exact way. A molecule has rotational, vibrational, electronic and nuclear resonance frequencies and all of them are calculated/estimated with different methods. A living (animal, plant, fungus, bacterial) cell is definitely not a single molecule.

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say the electronic frequency of a specific protein within a molecule, or a simple structure like H2O, however I would prefer not to discus H2O since many have already found this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted