Graduate School in Chemical Physics

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the author is a biochemistry major at a large state school and is interested in graduate school in chemical physics or physical chemistry. They have completed coursework in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and molecular and cell biology. They are currently a junior and have a GPA of 3.93. They are concerned with their algebra-based physics courses taken as a freshman and are planning to take a refresher course in physics if needed. They are prepared for graduate school in chemistry and have credentials in mathematics and physics.
DanL
I'm currently a junior at large state school and am a biochemistry major. I started college in a cell biology major, then realized how much I hated cell biology classes (although I remain fascinated by the chemical reactions and complex chemical structure in living things) and how much I loved chemistry. I switched to biochemistry. Last semester I took chemical thermodynamics and even though I started off thinking it was pretty dry, I grew to like it a lot. This semester I am taking quantum chemistry, I am excelling at it and I think it is the most incredibly amazing and interesting subject I have ever studied. I have been looking into graduate programs in quantum chemistry and chemical physics and at labs in which molecules of biological importance (proteins and nucleic acids) are the primary subject of research.
My question is, do I have a chance of being accepted to one of these programs?
I will list my relevant coursework below:

Mathematics:
Calculus I & II (8 credits) - single variable calculus
Calculus III (4 credits) (currently enrolled)
Differential equations (4 credits) (will take in summer)
I also plan on taking 6 credits of advanced calculus coursework including matricies.

Physics:
Classical mechanics (4 credits) - Algebra based (so much regret)
Electricity, Magnetism, Light, and Optics (4 credits) - Algebra based (even more regret)

Chemistry:
General Chemistry 1 & 2 (8 credits)
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 plus lab (8 credits)
Physical Chemistry - Thermodynamics (3 credits)
Physical Chemistry - Quantum (currently enrolled) (3 credits)
Biochemistry 1 & 2 (6 credits)
I plan on taking the following:
Inorganic Chemistry (3 credits)
Transition Metal and Organometallic Chemistry (3 credits)
Computational Chemistry (3 credits)
Analytical Chemistry (3 credits)

Molecular and Cell bology:
Molecular biology 1 and 2 (6 credits)
Genetics (3 credits)
Lab courses (8 credits)

I also work in a molecular biophysics lab as an undergrad research assistant.

Current GPA: 3.93. I expect to graduate with a GPA above 3.90.

My main concern is the algebra based physics courses I took. I took them as a freshman when I thought I wanted to become a cell biologist. Although I do not have room in my schedule to repeat the coursework in a calculus based physics course, I would not have a problem with taking courses in theoretical mechanics as a graduate student and I would not have a problem with taking a calculus based course in E&M either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical Chemistry would probably be more appropriate as a graduate school than chemical physics. For the most part, Physical Chemistry looks at Chemistry and Physics related problems from a Chemistry point of view and Chemical Physics from a Physics point of view. I cannot speak as to the admissions part. Also, you may want to give Modern Physical Organic Chemistry by Anslyn a look.

Looks like you're thoroughly prepared for chemistry graduate school. You could still apply to chemical physics programs but they will require you to take at least undergraduate classical mechanics and E&M once you are admitted. Maybe even graduate-level. Course-wise it seems like chemical physics programs consist mostly of statistical mechanics, physical chemistry, and quantum chemistry. Physical chemistry would be very similar except you would probably have more core chem course requirements. I was interested in doing chemical physics as well so I researched several programs and that is what I discovered.

My Ph.D. is in chemical physics (through a chemistry department). Your credentials and GPA look fine for admission to a chemistry department. If you really feel that you need to take a refresher course in physics, they'll probably let you. I and a few of my classmates took courses in the physics department. The one caveat (which might be specific to my school) is that they were grad-level physics courses, which are quite a bit more rigorous than intro level undergrad physics. But looking at your qualifications, I doubt you'll have too much trouble. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the replies to my 7 month old thread guys! I just figured I'd give an update. Rather than inorganic chemistry and organometallic/transition metal chemistry, I decided to take modern physics and a 400 level classical mechanics course. I'll be applying to graduate schools extremely soon (mainly chemical physics and biophysics programs).

What is graduate school in chemical physics?

Graduate school in chemical physics is an advanced academic program that focuses on the interdisciplinary study of physical and chemical processes, theories, and experiments. Students typically pursue a Master's or PhD degree in this field, which prepares them for careers in research, academia, industry, or government.

What are the admission requirements for graduate school in chemical physics?

Admission requirements vary between institutions, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong undergraduate background in chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Most programs also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA or specific coursework in related fields.

What courses can I expect to take in graduate school for chemical physics?

The specific courses will vary depending on the program, but common topics include quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, spectroscopy, thermodynamics, and computational methods. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in their specific area of research interest, such as biophysical chemistry or materials science.

What research opportunities are available in graduate school for chemical physics?

Graduate students in chemical physics have the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in a variety of areas, including molecular dynamics, nanotechnology, chemical kinetics, and more. Many programs also offer opportunities for students to collaborate with industry partners or participate in internships.

What career options are available after graduating from a chemical physics graduate program?

Graduating from a chemical physics graduate program opens up a wide range of career options. Many graduates go on to work in research and development positions in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, or energy. Others pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers. Some may also choose to work in government agencies, such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology or the Environmental Protection Agency.