Determining pH of Solution: 2 Acid Mix with HCl and CH3COOH

  • Thread starter Thread starter firyace
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acids Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
firyace
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi, I got a problem with something regarding to chemistry. How can you determine the pH of a solution with two Acids?

The question says that A 50.00 mL aqueous solution is made by mixing the following two solutions:

10.00mL 1x10^-9M HCl

50.00mL 1*10^-4 M CH3COOH (Ka= 1.8*10^-5)

a) What is the Cl^- in the 50.00mL solution?
b)What is the pH in the 50mL solution?
c) What is the [CH3COOH] in the 50mL solution?


thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In general it is difficult to calculate pH of such solution, but here... Look at the concentration of hydrochloric acid. What pH does it have without acetic acid?
 
This is my guess (please take this lightly):

The contribution of H+ from the HCl will be negligible compared to the contribution from water, which would make the pH of the first solution 7.00. To figure out the pH of the other solution, just do a regular equilibrium problem using the acetic acid. The initial H+ concentration will be 1.0 x 10^-9, but I don't think it will matter because it's negligible.

Note: I'm confused as to why the question says that a 50 mL solution is formed instead of a 60 mL solution...
 
So now I am confused, do I just neglect the HCl totally because that the concentration is neglegible?

'm confused as to why the question says that a 50 mL solution is formed instead of a 60 mL solution...
Yesterday 06:30 AM
:bugeye: that is what it said for the question.
 
firyace said:
So now I am confused, do I just neglect the HCl totally because that the concentration is neglegible?

Yes.