How do I find the ph without using Hasselbach's equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a buffer solution and calculating the pH after adding a strong acid. The student shares their method of using an ice table to determine the pH, which they believe to be 4.4. They also mention that their original pH was 4.76. They ask for confirmation on their calculation.
kinderman

Homework Statement

hi so in my lab class we made a buffer solution by mixing 20.00 ml of 0.100 M Sodium Hydroxide and 40.00 ml of 0.100 M of acetic acid. We then poured 15ml of this buffer solution into a beaker. So we essentially have 15 ml of this buffer solution in the beaker. We then added 0.15 ml of 1M HCl acid to this beaker. How do i find the ph, he told us we can't use hasselbach's equationSo what I did was divide :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(40ml) (0.1M) = 4mmoles Ch3cooH 4mmoles Ch3cooh
(20ml) (0.1M) = 2 mmoles NaOH 2mmoles of NaOH
(.15ml) (1.0M)= 0.15 mmoles HCl .15mmoles HCl

4/15.15 = 0.246 M Ch3cooH
2/15.15 = 0.132 M NaOH which is the concentration of the base
.15/15.15= 0.0099 M
Now i have to do an ice table and find the PH this problem is driving me crazy pease help i don't even know if my setup is correct. This class is only 1 credit and i have spent 10 hours on this lab report already

Physics news on Phys.org
So i drew up an ice table I am not spending anymore time

Ch3cooh + h2o <-> ch3coo- + H3o
I 0.264 0.132 0.0099
C +0099 -.0099 +X
E 0.2739 0.1221 X
ka= 1.75 x 10^-5
(1.75 x 10^-5 ) = (1221x)/(0.2739)
X= 3.39 x 10^-5
log(x)=4.4
Ph= 4.4

My original ph of the buffer was 4.76 now it decreased because of the strong acid make it more acidic so my ph is now 4.4 . I don't want to spend anymore time on this so if you can check this and just tell me if it is right i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to anyone who replies

1. How do I measure the pH of a solution without using Hasselbach's equation?

There are several ways to find the pH of a solution without using Hasselbach's equation. One method is to use a pH meter, which measures the voltage difference between a reference electrode and a glass electrode in the solution. Another method is to use pH test strips, which change color depending on the pH of the solution.

2. Can I estimate the pH without using Hasselbach's equation?

Yes, there are rough estimates that can be made without using Hasselbach's equation. For example, litmus paper can be used to determine if a solution is acidic or basic. Additionally, you can compare the color of the solution to a pH color chart to estimate its approximate pH.

3. How accurate are the methods of finding pH without using Hasselbach's equation?

The accuracy of these methods can vary. pH meters are typically the most accurate, with an error of about 0.01 pH units. pH test strips and color charts may have a larger margin of error, but can still provide a good estimate of the pH.

4. Are there any other equations or methods that can be used to find pH?

Yes, there are other equations and methods that can be used to find pH. For example, the pH can be calculated from the concentration of a strong acid or base using the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions. There are also various titration methods that can be used to find the pH of a solution.

5. Why might someone want to find the pH without using Hasselbach's equation?

Hasselbach's equation is most commonly used for solutions containing weak acids or bases. If the solution contains only strong acids or bases, it may be easier and more accurate to use other methods to find the pH. Additionally, some people may not have access to the equipment or materials needed for Hasselbach's equation and may need to find alternative methods for determining pH.