Determining the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide

  • Thread starter Thread starter bubbles1234
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Magnesium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 15K views
bubbles1234
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I already did the experiment but I'm trying to answer a question which asks"

Suppose that you allowed some magnesium oxide smoke to escape during the experiment. How would the Mg:O ratio have been affected? Would the ratio have decreased, increased or stayed the same? Explaine using calculations.


Homework Equations


I already know the empirical formula is MgO

The Attempt at a Solution


I think it will stay the same because you can't really reduce the ratio any furthur but I don't know how to show it using calculations. please help and thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bubbles1234 said:

Homework Statement


I already did the experiment but I'm trying to answer a question which asks"

Suppose that you allowed some magnesium oxide smoke to escape during the experiment. How would the Mg:O ratio have been affected? Would the ratio have decreased, increased or stayed the same? Explaine using calculations.


Homework Equations


I already know the empirical formula is MgO

The Attempt at a Solution


I think it will stay the same because you can't really reduce the ratio any furthur but I don't know how to show it using calculations. please help and thanks.

You are probably right however keep in mind that I do not know the context of the experiment.