Determining the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide

In summary: If the escape of the magnesium oxide smoke caused a significant loss of magnesium, then the ratio could potentially decrease. But if the loss was minimal, then it would most likely stay the same. Overall, it would depend on the specific circumstances of the experiment.
bubbles1234

Homework Statement

I already did the experiment but I'm trying to answer a question which asks"

Suppose that you allowed some magnesium oxide smoke to escape during the experiment. How would the Mg:O ratio have been affected? Would the ratio have decreased, increased or stayed the same? Explaine using calculations.

Homework Equations

I already know the empirical formula is MgO

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will stay the same because you can't really reduce the ratio any furthur but I don't know how to show it using calculations. please help and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bubbles1234 said:

Homework Statement

I already did the experiment but I'm trying to answer a question which asks"

Suppose that you allowed some magnesium oxide smoke to escape during the experiment. How would the Mg:O ratio have been affected? Would the ratio have decreased, increased or stayed the same? Explaine using calculations.

Homework Equations

I already know the empirical formula is MgO

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will stay the same because you can't really reduce the ratio any furthur but I don't know how to show it using calculations. please help and thanks.

You are probably right however keep in mind that I do not know the context of the experiment.

Your intuition is correct, the ratio would stay the same. In order to show this using calculations, we can use the law of conservation of mass. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, the amount of magnesium and oxygen present in the experiment before and after the smoke escaped must be the same.

Let's assume that initially, we had 1 mole of magnesium and 1 mole of oxygen present in the experiment. This would give us a 1:1 ratio of Mg:O. After the smoke escaped, let's say we lost 0.5 moles of magnesium and 0.5 moles of oxygen. This would leave us with 0.5 moles of magnesium and 0.5 moles of oxygen, still giving us a 1:1 ratio of Mg:O.

We can also use the formula for the empirical formula to show this mathematically. The empirical formula for magnesium oxide is MgO, which means that for every 1 mole of magnesium, there is 1 mole of oxygen. If we lost some magnesium, the number of moles of magnesium would decrease, but the ratio would still remain 1:1.

Therefore, the Mg:O ratio would not be affected by the escaped smoke and would remain the same.

1. What is the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide?

The empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide is MgO.

2. How do you determine the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide?

To determine the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide, you need to conduct an experiment that involves burning a sample of Magnesium in the presence of oxygen, and then measuring the mass of the resulting Magnesium Oxide. By using the Law of Definite Proportions, you can calculate the ratio of Magnesium to Oxygen in the compound and determine the empirical formula.

3. Why is it important to determine the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide?

Determining the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide is important because it allows us to understand the composition and structure of the compound. This information is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, material science, and engineering.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide?

The accuracy of determining the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide can be affected by various factors such as experimental errors, impurities in the starting materials, and incomplete reactions. It is important to take precautions and conduct multiple trials to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide be different from the actual molecular formula?

Yes, the empirical formula of Magnesium Oxide can be different from the actual molecular formula. The empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound, while the molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule. In some cases, the empirical formula and molecular formula can be the same, but they can also differ if the compound contains multiple atoms of each element.