Magnesium oxide smoke lost during the reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of lost magnesium oxide smoke during a reaction between magnesium and oxygen gas on the Mg : O ratio. The participants suggest setting up a thought experiment and removing a portion of the ash mass to recalculate the ratio. They also mention the importance of assumptions made during the experiment, such as the purity of the product and the conversion of all magnesium to oxide.
Cuisine123

Homework Statement

Would the Mg : O ratio be affected if some magnesium oxide smoke escaped during the reaction of Mg with oxygen gas?

Please explain with a sample calculation. Thanks.

Homework Equations

I know that the empirical formula is MgO.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to do this question., but I think that the ratio will remain unchanged?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are calculating the ratio by weighing the magnesium ribbon before combustion and then weighing the ash after combustion. If some ash mass is lost, what will this do to your calculation?

You need to set up a thought experiment and then remove a little of the mass of ash and recalculate. What happens to the ratio?

chemisttree said:
I assume you are calculating the ratio by weighing the magnesium ribbon before combustion and then weighing the ash after combustion. If some ash mass is lost, what will this do to your calculation?

You need to set up a thought experiment and then remove a little of the mass of ash and recalculate. What happens to the ratio?

I have already done an experiment to find out the empirical formula for Magnesium Oxide, but this is a follow-up question..If some ash mass is lost, then I guess the numbers to calculate the ratio would be smaller?
But since MgO is already reduced, then I guess the ratio will remain unchanged?

Also, how can I show it with a sample calculation? Thanks.

When you weighed the MgO, the balance didn't know it was MgO. All the balance tells you is how much mass is in the pan. YOU assign meaning to the reading.

chemisttree said:
When you weighed the MgO, the balance didn't know it was MgO. All the balance tells you is how much mass is in the pan. YOU assign meaning to the reading.

Sorry, I still don't understand.

When doing calculations for th eesxperiment, you are making two assumptions - even if you are not aware of the fact that you are doing them.

First, you assume that the product that you have weighted is pure MgO.

Second, you assume that all Mg was converted to the oxide and none was lost.

Do you see now?

As for the calculations:

If there were some MgO lost in the form of "smoke", final mass of the product will be smaller. Subtract 10% from the mass you have found and repeat the calculations identical to those you have already performed. What ratio did you get this time? Is it identical to the one you got previous time?

1. What is magnesium oxide smoke?

Magnesium oxide smoke is a gas that is produced when magnesium and oxygen undergo a chemical reaction. It appears as a white or grayish smoke and has a characteristic odor.

2. How is magnesium oxide smoke lost during a reaction?

Magnesium oxide smoke is lost during a reaction due to its high volatility. It can easily escape into the surrounding air, reducing the amount of smoke produced. This loss can also occur if the reaction is not carried out in an enclosed container.

3. Why is the loss of magnesium oxide smoke a concern in scientific experiments?

Magnesium oxide smoke is a byproduct of a chemical reaction and can provide valuable information about the reaction. Its loss can affect the outcome of the experiment and make it difficult to accurately analyze the results.

4. How can the loss of magnesium oxide smoke be minimized?

To minimize the loss of magnesium oxide smoke, the reaction should be carried out in an enclosed container with limited air flow. The temperature should also be controlled to prevent the smoke from evaporating too quickly.

5. Is the loss of magnesium oxide smoke reversible?

No, once magnesium oxide smoke is lost during a reaction, it cannot be recovered. However, steps can be taken during the experiment to prevent its loss and ensure accurate results.