1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the inverse function for a given function

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the inverse function for the function,

f(x)=((2x+1)^3)-2

I think i know the steps but i want to know if my answer is correct
    1.Change f(x) to f(y)
    2.Re write so x=f(y)
    3.Swap x and y variables
    4.replace y with f^-1(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.y=((2x+1)^3)-2
    2.cube sqrt y=(2x+1)-2
    =cube sqrt y+2=2x+1
    =cube sqrt y+1=2x
    =(cube sqrt y+1)/2=x
    3.y=(cube sqrt x+1)/2
    4.f^-1(x)=(cube sqrt x+1)/2

Is this right???? Can someone please tell me how to do it if its wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It would be easiest if you just switch the x and y variables at the start (don't deal with f(x) and f(y) etc. while solving the equation), and then once you found the answer, change your y into f-1(x).

y=((2x+1)^3)-2
    cube sqrt y=(2x+1)-2

No! [tex]\sqrt[3]{((2x+1)^3-2}\neq (2x+1)-2[/tex]

To illustrate this, I'll give you a more basic example that's a common mistake. Take pythagoras' theorem: [tex]c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]. Now, many students that come across this formula outside of solving lengths for right-triangles often make the mistake that [tex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=a+b[/tex] since they can just take the square root of each term inside... WRONG!
    Obviously if this were true we would have simplified pythagoras' theorem to c=a+b :tongue:

The rule is [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex] and x can be just about anything you choose, such as a+b. But then [tex](a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\neq a^2+b^2[/tex]. Only until you can convert [tex](2x+1)^3-2[/tex] into [tex]a^3[/tex] where a is some variable involving x, then can you take the cube root.

But this is impossible, so all you need to do is move the -2 over to the other side, then you can take the cube root.

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    So how do you change the (2x+1)^3-2 so x=y (eg) how do you find the answer?? im confused :p

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
    I remember also thinking that inverse functions were tricky when I started.

Your function is y = (2x+1)3-2.

To find the inverse, switch x and y so that you get x = (2y+1)3-2.

Now the tricky bit is rearraging this so you have it in terms of y. So we need y = ....

First add 2 to both sides, then you'll be on your way.

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have the order wrong. If you were evaluating this for some specific x, you would subtract 2 last so finding the inverse, you add 2 first:
    [itex]y+ 2= (2x+ 1)^3[/itex]. Now take the cube root of both sides.

And please don't say "cube sqrt"- the "sqrt" or "square root" is specifically the inverse of squaring. What you want here, the inverse of cubing is "cube root".

You should have, at this point, cube root(y+ 2)= 2x+1. Solve that for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook