Determining wheter or not a non trivial solutions exists for higher order PDE's

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a higher order PDE with given conditions. The speaker is looking for a simpler and faster way to solve for the constants in the general solution, as they may not have enough time to do so on a test. They mention that their professor hinted at another method, but they have been unable to figure it out.
roldy
Is there a way to determine if a non trivial solution exists for higher order PDE's? For example suppose I have the following.

[itex]X''''(x) + \alpha^2X(x)=0[/itex]

With given conditions U(0,t) = u(1,t) = uxx(0,t) = uxx(1,t) = 0 if t≥0

The general solution will have 4 constants of which I will have to solve for using the above conditions. However, if this shows up on a test I will not have enough time to do this and the other parts that go along with this step. There's got to be a simple way to do this just by observation.

Note: This step is part of a process to solve the beam equation. I've done the case with λ=0 and λ<0. The case for λ>0 is where I need to find a shorter faster way. I have tried searching online for solution examples to solving this but all the solutions just jump to the case where λ<0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is no "simple way to do this just by observation".

Is there any other way without going through the process of figuring out the general solution? My professor hinted that there was but I can't figure it out. Perhaps because this is a beam, the eigenvalues have to be real due to the fact that they represent the frequencies.

1. What is a non-trivial solution for a higher order PDE?

A non-trivial solution for a higher order PDE is a solution that is not equal to zero and satisfies the given boundary conditions. In other words, it is a solution that is non-zero and non-constant.

2. How is it determined if a non-trivial solution exists for a higher order PDE?

The existence of a non-trivial solution for a higher order PDE can be determined by using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or the method of characteristics. These techniques involve manipulating the given PDE to find a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve higher order PDEs?

Some common techniques used to solve higher order PDEs include separation of variables, Fourier series, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. These techniques involve manipulating the given PDE to find a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.

4. Can a higher order PDE have more than one non-trivial solution?

Yes, a higher order PDE can have more than one non-trivial solution. This is because there can be multiple solutions that satisfy the boundary conditions. However, determining the existence and uniqueness of these solutions can be a complex and challenging process.

5. What are the applications of solving higher order PDEs?

Solving higher order PDEs has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These equations are used to model and understand complex physical phenomena and to develop solutions for real-world problems.