Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Which Variable Is Independent

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I have a question with regards to solving problems that require knowledge of which variable is dependent and which is independent. Suppose I am presented with the differential equation [itex]x^5 y^{(4)} - x^3 y'' + 6y = 0[/itex]; for this differential equation I am asked to determine if it is linear or not. My question does not pertain to linearity, but is, how do I know which variable is the dependent? Is my knowing this solely due to the fact that the equation contains y and its derivatives, or does this not imply that y is the dependent variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there are derivatives of y then it must be dependent on some variable; otherwise what are you differentiating with respect to?

Often the writers are a bit glib in specifying the variable; for example your equation could have x be some arbitrary parameter and y be a function of t, which would change the solutions that you get. Unless specified though if something that looks like a variable (either x or t) appears in the equation then that is typically intended to be the independent variable.
    u is

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook