DFT for configuration of atoms

In summary, the carbon atoms in a graphite structure have a low energy, while the carbon atoms in a diamond have a higher energy. If you want to find out the energy of a particular configuration of atoms, you can use DFT to find out the electron density.
mrandersdk
Hey.

I got a locked configuration of atoms, that is there positions are fixed. I would like to calculate the energy of this configuration and also the electron density. I've looked around on the internet and in some books and found that maybe Density Functional Theory (DFT) is the answer. If for example each atom has 2 electrons, and there are 5 atoms, can I just solve the kohn sham equation (where the external potetial is the one generated from the 5 atoms) in a self consistent way and get all these things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohn–Sham_equations.

I meen will this give me a electron density where some of the atoms are bonding and some are not, that is will the electron density be directional between bonding atoms. If this is a way to solve my problem can anyone give me some litterature that describes how to make these calculations numerically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there are two ways to get your energy; either by solving the Schrödinger equation (wavefunction methods) or using DFT. Either way will give you the electron density, since in the former case it's just the sum over the squares of the orbitals and occupancies.

The difficulty of solving the Kohn-Sham equations depends on what functional you're using, i.e. how you approximate [tex]E_{xc}[/tex]. (which is not known exactly)

I meen will this give me a electron density where some of the atoms are bonding and some are not, that is will the electron density be directional between bonding atoms. If this is a way to solve my problem can anyone give me some litterature that describes how to make these calculations numerically.

Well, yes. But what's the problem you're trying to solve? To figure out whether two atoms are bonding? (in addition to the energy) In practice that wouldn't typically be done by looking at the density itself, but the occupancies of the orbitals.

Anyway, there's any number of books on how to do the calculations (pretty much anything with 'quantum chemistry' in the title or subject), but it's not an entirely trivial task. Besides the difficulty, it'd also be drastic overkill to implement the whole thing just to calculate a single system or two! There's plenty of wavefunction and DFT software out there, some of which is free. A particularly popular (and free) program is http://www.msg.ameslab.gov/GAMESS/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
What i need is: Given a configuration of atoms (In my case carbon atoms), that I decide, what is the energy of the configuration and which atoms bonds and is it a sp2 or sp3 bond.

For example if i place my atoms in a graphite like structure, it should give me a low energy and the bonds should be sp2, if i place them in a diamond structure the energy should be higher and the bonds should be sp3. In my case i need to place the atoms in all kinds of configurations, and then see what the energy is, and if possible to define it, what bonds they make.

Hope it makes sense.

1. What is DFT and how does it relate to the configuration of atoms?

DFT stands for Density Functional Theory and it is a computational method used to describe the electronic structure of atoms, molecules, and solids. It can be used to determine the most stable configuration of atoms, as well as their electronic and optical properties.

2. How does DFT calculate the configuration of atoms?

DFT uses mathematical equations and numerical methods to solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in a given system. The resulting electron density is then used to determine the configuration of atoms and their properties.

3. What are the limitations of using DFT for atomic configurations?

While DFT is a powerful and widely used method, it does have some limitations. It can struggle with accurately describing systems with strong electron correlations, such as transition metal complexes. Additionally, it does not account for nuclear motion, which can be important in certain systems.

4. Can DFT be used to predict the properties of atoms in different environments?

Yes, DFT can be used to study atoms in various environments, such as in different solvents or on surfaces. However, the accuracy of the results may depend on the specific method and parameters used in the calculations.

5. How can experimental data be compared to DFT calculations of atomic configurations?

DFT calculations can be used to predict various properties of atoms, such as bond lengths and energies. These predicted values can then be compared to experimental data to validate the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, DFT calculations can be used to interpret experimental data and provide insight into the underlying atomic configurations.