Dick Martin of Rowan & Martin's Laugh in dies

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Dick Martin, the comedic half of the famous duo from "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" has passed away at the age of 86. The show, which launched the careers of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin, became a national sensation and popularized catchphrases such as "Sock it to me!" Martin's death has left many feeling nostalgic and reflecting on the impact of the show. Despite the passing of time, the humor of "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" remains timeless and continues to make people laugh even 40 years later. Martin will be remembered for his talent and contribution to the entertainment industry.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Wow, it's really making me feel old. :frown:

Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080525/ap_on_en_tv/obit_martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Wow, it's really making me feel old. :frown:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080525/ap_on_en_tv/obit_martin

I was alreay feeling old, now I just feel a little older. A lot of reality TV programs are looking for people who have talent. Rowen and Martin had people on their show who already had talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved that show... but I would have watched it just to see Goldie dancing in her bikini. :biggrin: I guess every week was a game of cat and mouse with the censors, with Rowan and Martin both always trying to push the limits or sneak one in. And in the end they did some great stuff. I watched a few episodes recently and it still made me laugh. When you can watch something like that 40 years later and the humor still works, you know it was good.

Goodnight Dick.

A part of me just died. I wasn't around for the original runs, but I watched the Nick at Nite reruns religiously. Damn, aging sucks.:frown:

yes...

"say goodnight Dick"

"Goodnight Dick"

Rip.

The Flying Fickled Finger of Fate caught up with him at last. Well he lived to 86.

Goodnight Dick. RIP.

1. Who was Dick Martin?

Dick Martin was an American comedian, actor, and television director who rose to fame as one half of the comedy duo Rowan & Martin. He was best known for co-hosting the popular sketch comedy show "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" with Dan Rowan.

2. When did Dick Martin die?

Dick Martin passed away on May 24, 2008 at the age of 86. He died at his home in Santa Monica, California after a brief illness.

3. How did Dick Martin become famous?

Dick Martin's big break came when he was hired as a writer for "The Steve Allen Show" in the 1950s. He then went on to form a comedy partnership with Dan Rowan, and the two became household names with the success of "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" in the late 1960s.

4. What other projects did Dick Martin work on?

Besides "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," Dick Martin also directed numerous television shows such as "The Bob Newhart Show," "The Brady Bunch," and "The Bob Hope Show." He also made appearances on various TV shows and films throughout his career.

5. What was Dick Martin's impact on comedy?

Dick Martin's quick wit, physical comedy, and ability to ad-lib made him a beloved figure in the world of comedy. He, along with Dan Rowan, helped pave the way for future sketch comedy shows and influenced many comedians with their unique brand of humor on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In."