Did I do this question correctly?

• Thread starter andgabbana
  • Start date
In summary: So you don't need to calculate the kinetic energy, work, etc.In summary, a human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experienced an impulse of 4.0x10^3 N*s for 0.35s. This resulted in a force of 11428.57N acting on the cannonball. Assuming the force was only applied while the cannonball was in the cannon, the barrel of the cannon was approximately 5.7m long. An alternative solution is to calculate the average velocity using the final velocity and time interval, and then use this to calculate the displacement of the cannonball.
andgabbana
I just want to make sure I know I'm on the right track...

A human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experiences an impulse of 4.0x10^3 N*s for 0.35s

a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

b) How long was the barrel of the cannon? (Assume the force is applied only for the period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)a) J = F (delta t)
4.0x10^3 = F (0.35)
F = 11428.57

b) J = delta P = 4.0x10^3
delta P = mv(f) - mv(i)
4.0x10^3 = 70 * V(f)
V(f) = 57m/s

E(k) = 0.5[mV(f)] - 0 ----- because it was at rest
=0.5(70 x 57)
=1995

F d = E(k)
11428.57 x d = 1995
d = 5.72m

therefore it was 5.7m long?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andgabbana said:
I just want to make sure I know I'm on the right track...

A human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experiences an impulse of 4.0x10^3 N*s for 0.35s

a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

b) How long was the barrel of the cannon? (Assume the force is applied only for the period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)a) J = F (delta t)
4.0x10^3 = F (0.35)
F = 11428.57

b) J = delta P = 4.0x10^3
delta P = mv(f) - mv(i)
4.0x10^3 = 70 * V(f)
V(f) = 57m/s

E(k) = 0.5[mV(f)] - 0 ----- because it was at rest
=0.5(70 x 57)
=1995

F d = E(k)
11428.57 x d = 1995
d = 5.72m

therefore it was 5.7m long?
[itex]E_k_i_n=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]. You forgot to square!

Other than that you are certainly on the right track. What you are doing is right in principle.

By the way, there is an alternative shorter answer to the problem. You know that there was a constant force acting on the mass, and you know the final velocity, so you can calculate the average velocity. You also know [itex]\Delta t[/itex] so you can calculate [itex]\Delta x[/itex].

I cannot confirm if you have done the question correctly without seeing your calculations and assumptions. However, based on the given information and your calculations, it seems that you have correctly calculated the force acting on the human cannonball and the length of the barrel of the cannon. However, it may be helpful to specify the units for the length (meters) in your final answer. Additionally, it would be important to consider the assumptions made in your calculations and ensure they are reasonable and accurate. Overall, it appears that you are on the right track, but it is always important to double check your work and make sure all assumptions and units are accounted for.

1. Did I follow the correct scientific method in answering this question?

The scientific method involves a series of steps that help ensure accuracy and reliability in research. To answer a question correctly, you should have followed these steps: 1) Ask a question, 2) Conduct background research, 3) Form a hypothesis, 4) Design and conduct an experiment, 5) Analyze the data, 6) Draw conclusions, and 7) Communicate the results. If you have followed these steps, then you have likely used the correct scientific method in your answer.

2. Did I use appropriate and reliable sources in my answer?

To answer a question correctly, it is important to use reliable sources of information. These can include peer-reviewed scientific journals, reputable websites, and books written by experts in the field. Make sure to critically evaluate your sources and consider their credibility and bias before using them in your answer.

3. Did I consider all relevant variables and factors in my answer?

In science, it is important to consider all possible variables and factors that may affect the outcome of an experiment or research. This includes independent variables (the factors being tested), dependent variables (the outcome being measured), and control variables (the factors that are kept constant). If you have not considered all relevant variables and factors, then your answer may not be complete or accurate.

4. Did I use appropriate methods and techniques in my answer?

There are many different methods and techniques used in scientific research, and each question may require a different approach. It is important to choose the most appropriate methods and techniques for your specific question, and to use them correctly. If you are unsure about the methods and techniques used in your answer, you may want to consult with a more experienced scientist or researcher.

5. Did I clearly and accurately communicate my answer?

In science, effective communication is key. Your answer should be written clearly and concisely, using appropriate scientific language and terminology. It should also accurately represent your findings and conclusions. It may be helpful to have someone else read your answer to ensure that it is easily understandable and accurately reflects your work.