Did Nobel Prize-winning physicist Niels Bohr believe in good luck charms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
Who among the great scientists had rituals or beliefs that were more magical than logical? Which of the sciences claims the largest proportion of paranormal purveyors?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a famous story. I don't know if it is true.

An American scientist once visited the offices of the great Nobel Prize-winning physicist, Neils Bohr, in Copenhagen, and was amazed to find a horseshoe was nailed to the wall over his desk.

The American said with a nervous laugh, "Surely you don't believe that horseshoe will bring you good luck, do you, Professor Bohr?"

Bohr chuckled. "I believe no such thing, my good friend. Not at all. I am scarcely likely to believe in such foolish nonsense. However, I am told that a horseshoe will bring you good luck whether you believe in it or not! How can one argue with such logic?"

http://www.laughbreak.com/stories/horseshoe_logic.html