Diesel ICE with EGR injection timing change

In summary, the engine tested had faulty measuring equipment which caused incorrect readings of cylinder head pressures. The timing of the injection was affected by the effects of EGR, which may be due to the oxygen-poor intake charge. The pump used in this engine is variable, which explains the conflicting results of the study.
The Chase
Hello,

I'm currently doing research into the various effects of exhaust gas recirculation for my dissertation at university, the engine being tested on is a naturally aspirated 4 stroke diesel Ford straight 4 (probably out of a transit or something of the sort). Last week I recorded cylinder head pressures of the engine under the effects of EGR and without and noticed something very odd that I can't seem to explain. When I plotted the pressure data into Matlab I noticed on ALL of my data that the injectors seemed to fire later on in the engine cycle while under the effects of EGR. This may be explainable if the engine was controlled by an ECU but the engine in question has mechanical injection! The only explanation I can think of is faulty measuring equipment, but it seems odd that the same 'faulty readings' have happened over and over again! I have attatched a sample of one of my Matlab graphs which shows the problem at hand, any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac171/mcchase/Physics/

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would say that it is due to the oxygen-poor intake charge. For the combustion to start, you need fuel and oxygen. But because, with EGR, fuel droplets have less chance of meeting an oxygen atom, you need to inject more fuel before the combustion actually starts. Just a guess.

The Nissan LD28 diesel changes injection timing depending on egr operation.

It's part of the engine management scheme.

It's possible this ford engine does the same.

Best thing I can recommend is to learn how they go about managing egr on that engine from the manuals.

Thanks for the replies guys,

@ Jack: I was thinking slower combustion may be a possible answer as EGR has an overall cooling effect on the cylinder head, your theory of poor oxygen content is another idea I haven't though of - thanks! However if you look at the graph i have attached you will notice the point at which injection occurs (just as it temporarily looses pressure due to cool diesel charge) occurs slightly later, so in this regard poor oxygen content shouldn't make an effect up until this point.

@ Howler: I've done a very quick search on the L28 diesel and I assume it also has mechanical injection as there is a timing pulley from what I can see, yet you mention engine management? As I stated before the Ford diesel being tested on has no ECU, it's mechanical injection and isn't variable. I'm trying to get us much information on the engine as possible, hopefully I'll get to the end of this one!

"Engine management" encompasses diaphragms, distributor weights, and other mechanical devices.

Is it a bosch distributor type injection pump or an inline pump?

Sorry Howler, I've never heard of engine management being used in that context here in the UK! In answer to your question it's an in-line pump, direct injection - I haven't got access to the testing lab until tomorrow but I intend to grab the injector model name and a few photos etc. If you would be so kind though, in the mean time could you give me a brief run-down on how this Nissan system worked? Maybe then I could see if this Ford engine works on a similar method. Thanks again!

Please label your axes. Your pumping curve should be centred around TDC firing.

If this is cylinder pressure curve, you can't conclude much about injection timing because the ignition delay is not necessarily fixed. If you want to look at injection timing, measure injection timing.

What are the running conditions for this back-to-back test? There are several features within an automotive in-line pump which can vary timing so don't think that it's fixed just because it's mechanical!

Do you have needle lift or line pressure traces? If your test conditions are truly identical, I suspect your EGR is doing its job, acting as a dilutant and increasing pre combustion specific heat capacity, and increasing ignition delay.

Here's a couple of pics from the net but I can photocopy the 10 pages in the factory service manual that describes all the operating parameters.

I'll do it later today.

FSM_1982_EC-029-2b.jpg

Wiring_EGR_01b.jpg

The throttle plate is there to create a larger pressure differential between the intake and the exhaust when in use.

6846705227_02ce5ce888_b.jpg

6846705241_c8de70b2cb_b.jpg

6846705247_0f4fd16df1_b.jpg

6846705259_18fc1b5d33_b.jpg

6846705261_38db740a24_b.jpg

6846705267_1434c70b21_b.jpg

Thats some excellent stuff, thank you so much for taking the time to upload those. It seems clear to me after closer inspection to the engine that its likely the mechanical pump is variable which explians my results dilemmal, thanks again to everyone who gave me some direction on this one.

1. How does EGR injection timing affect diesel engine performance?

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is a technique used in diesel engines to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. By changing the timing of EGR injection, the amount of exhaust gas recirculated into the intake air can be adjusted, affecting the engine's combustion process. This can impact engine power, fuel efficiency, and emissions levels.

2. What is the purpose of changing the EGR injection timing in a diesel engine?

Changing the EGR injection timing can help improve the overall efficiency and emissions performance of a diesel engine. By adjusting the amount of exhaust gas recirculated, the engine can achieve a more optimal air-fuel ratio, resulting in better combustion and reduced emissions.

3. What factors influence the optimal EGR injection timing for a diesel engine?

The optimal EGR injection timing for a diesel engine can be influenced by several factors, including engine load, speed, and temperature. Each engine may have a different optimal timing depending on its design and operating conditions.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to changing the EGR injection timing in a diesel engine?

While changing the EGR injection timing can have benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. These can include decreased engine power, increased fuel consumption, and potential damage to engine components if the timing is not properly adjusted.

5. How can the EGR injection timing be adjusted in a diesel engine?

The EGR injection timing can be adjusted by reprogramming the engine's electronic control unit (ECU) or by physically modifying the EGR system. It is important to consult with a professional and follow manufacturer guidelines when making any changes to the EGR system to ensure proper functioning and avoid potential damage to the engine.