1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between sthg*time & sthg/time

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    Difference between"sthg*time"&"sthg/time"

What's the difference between "something" multiplied by time and "something" divided by time ? Isn't everything done through an interval of time ? I'd appreciate it if you gave me some examples , any example even if its gummy bears /time , I just want to know how on earth and when do I multiply physical units with time , thanks a million in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Divided by time: You'll often see the word "per", as in "miles per hour"; if it takes ten times as many hours my speed was one-tenth as great as if it took one hour.

Multiplied by time: You'll often see the word "for", as in "I walked for ten hours and covered ten times the distance that I would if I had walked for one hour".

You can do this with a hypothetical machine that produces X GummiBears in Y hours and operates for Z hours :smile: - when you calculate the total production you'll be dividing by Y and multiplying by X.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. Dec 29, 2013 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, suppose you went to work for $10 an hour and after 10 hours work your boss gave you $1. That's 10 dollars divided by 10 hours, right!

What, you want $100? Get outta here!

5. Jan 2, 2014 #4

Thanks a million OwO ! That actually helped a lot ! This thing was really getting on my nerbes and constantly annoying me , but now I understand it thanks to you , thanks again , A-LOT

6. Jan 2, 2014 #5

Then my boss would be a fraud , how am I supposed to support my family with 1 $ a day ? Is this the 16th century :P ,but I get it . Thanks a lot , Mr. Sarcastic interpreter >v>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook