Difference between sthg*time & sthg/time

• Thread starter kira506
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between "something" multiplied by time and "something" divided by time is that multiplication by time is often represented by the word "for" and involves increasing a quantity by a certain number of units over a given time period, while division by time is often represented by the word "per" and involves finding a rate or ratio over a given time period. Examples include miles per hour and distance for a given time period. Additionally, this concept can be applied to hypothetical situations, such as calculating total production of a machine that produces a certain number of units in a given time period. It is important to understand this difference in order to avoid confusion and accurately interpret information involving time and physical units.
kira506
Difference between"sthg*time"&"sthg/time"

What's the difference between "something" multiplied by time and "something" divided by time ? Isn't everything done through an interval of time ? I'd appreciate it if you gave me some examples , any example even if its gummy bears /time , I just want to know how on Earth and when do I multiply physical units with time , thanks a million in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
kira506 said:
What's the difference between "something" multiplied by time and "something" divided by time ? Isn't everything done through an interval of time ? I'd appreciate it if you gave me some examples , any example even if its gummy bears /time , I just want to know how on Earth and when do I multiply physical units with time , thanks a million in advance !

Divided by time: You'll often see the word "per", as in "miles per hour"; if it takes ten times as many hours my speed was one-tenth as great as if it took one hour.

Multiplied by time: You'll often see the word "for", as in "I walked for ten hours and covered ten times the distance that I would if I had walked for one hour".

You can do this with a hypothetical machine that produces X GummiBears in Y hours and operates for Z hours :smile: - when you calculate the total production you'll be dividing by Y and multiplying by X.

Last edited:
kira506 said:

Hi, suppose you went to work for $10 an hour and after 10 hours work your boss gave you $1. That's 10 dollars divided by 10 hours, right!

What, you want $100? Get outta here!

Nugatory said:
Divided by time: You'll often see the word "per", as in "miles per hour"; if it takes ten times as many hours my speed was one-tenth as great as if it took one hour.

Multiplied by time: You'll often see the word "for", as in "I walked for ten hours and covered ten times the distance that I would if I had walked for one hour".

You can do this with a hypothetical machine that produces X GummiBears in Y hours and operates for Z hours :smile: - when you calculate the total production you'll be dividing by Y and multiplying by X.

Thanks a million OwO ! That actually helped a lot ! This thing was really getting on my nerbes and constantly annoying me , but now I understand it thanks to you , thanks again , A-LOT

PeroK said:
Hi, suppose you went to work for $10 an hour and after 10 hours work your boss gave you $1. That's 10 dollars divided by 10 hours, right!

What, you want $100? Get outta here!

Then my boss would be a fraud , how am I supposed to support my family with 1 $ a day ? Is this the 16th century :P ,but I get it . Thanks a lot , Mr. Sarcastic interpreter >v>

What is the difference between sthg*time and sthg/time?

When we talk about sthg*time, we are referring to the product of two quantities, sthg and time, where the units of measurement are multiplied together. On the other hand, sthg/time refers to the quotient of two quantities, sthg and time, where the units of measurement are divided. In other words, sthg*time is a measure of the total amount of sthg over a given time period, while sthg/time is a measure of the rate at which sthg is changing over time.

How do we calculate sthg*time and sthg/time?

To calculate sthg*time, we simply multiply the numerical values of sthg and time together, and include the units of measurement. For example, if we have a distance of 10 meters and a time of 5 seconds, the sthg*time would be 50 meters per second. To calculate sthg/time, we divide the numerical value of sthg by the numerical value of time, and again include the units of measurement. Using the same example, the sthg/time would be 2 meters per second.

What are some real-life examples of sthg*time and sthg/time?

There are many examples of sthg*time and sthg/time in everyday life. For sthg*time, we can think of things like distance traveled over time (e.g. miles per hour), amount of work done (e.g. joules per second), or growth rate (e.g. population increase per year). For sthg/time, examples include speed (e.g. meters per second), acceleration (e.g. meters per second squared), or flow rate (e.g. liters per minute).

How are sthg*time and sthg/time used in scientific research?

In scientific research, sthg*time and sthg/time are used to measure and analyze various phenomena. For example, in physics, sthg*time is used to calculate energy and momentum, while sthg/time is used to study rates of change and motion. In biology, sthg*time can be used to measure growth rates and metabolic processes, while sthg/time can help us understand the effects of different variables on biological processes.

What are some common misconceptions about sthg*time and sthg/time?

One common misconception is that sthg*time and sthg/time are interchangeable. As we have seen, they represent different concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. Another misconception is that sthg*time always increases with time, and sthg/time always decreases with time. While this may be true in some cases, it is not always the case. Both sthg*time and sthg/time can increase, decrease, or remain constant over time, depending on the specific situation being measured.