1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differences between Industry and Academia

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm a rising sophomore studying applied physics at a top university in the USA, and I've been considering whether or not to pursue graduate school, and beyond that, deciding between a life in academia vs. industry. I'm surrounded by a lot of academics (naturally), but have much less contact with physicists working in industry. Can anyone here provide a (maybe not-so) brief overview of differences between the two? Specifically, any significant differences in education or professional experience needed to pursue a career in industry, and differences in the working life in industry vs. academia, etc. Responses would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My perspective:

In industry, you are told what to do and you don't have to figure out how to get a paycheck. In academic research, you can do whatever you want as long as you can get someone to pay you (and fund your lab, if you do experimental work).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook