Differential equation what going on?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation and re-arranging the answer after integration. The solution involved exponentiating both sides of the equation and using the inverse relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions. The final form of the solution is x=Ce^2/t^2.
jamesd2008
Hi could someone explain why this result occurs when solving this differential equation.

dx/dt= xt

1/xdx/dt=t then intergrating both side we get with respect to dt we get,

Inx=t^2/2 + c now this is the bit i don't understand why does the answer then become,

x=Ce^2/t^2

I get really confused how the equation gets re-arranged into the above form after the intergration has occured. Any help please?

Thanks
James

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesd2008 said:
Inx=t^2/2 + c now this is the bit i don't understand why does the answer then become,

x=Ce^2/t^2

I get really confused how the equation gets re-arranged into the above form after the intergration has occured. Any help please?

Thanks
James
You are just exponentiating both sides of the equation. But remember that exponential functions and log's are inverse functions so e^lnx=x

Thanks but how come it is c*the e and then raised to the power of 2/t^2. Is that just a rule of exponentials?
Please help doing my head in!

Thanks
James

jamesd2008 said:

x=Ce^2/t^2

Hi James! :smile:

No, x = Cet2/2

C is ec. :wink:

Hey James
dx/dt= xt
dx/x = t·dt
Ln(x) = (t^2)/2 + K
x=e t2 /2 +K = e K · e t2 /2
If we say that e^K = C then;
x= C·e t2 /2

I hope it helps

Thanks all for your help got it now! thanks again james : -)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its rate of change. It involves the use of derivatives and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How is a differential equation different from a regular equation?

A regular equation involves variables and constants, whereas a differential equation involves derivatives of variables. This means that a differential equation describes the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change, while a regular equation only describes the relationship between two quantities.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze many physical phenomena, such as population growth, motion of objects, heat transfer, and electric circuits. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to study complex systems and predict future behavior.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are many methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. Technology, such as computer software, can also be used to solve more complex equations.

5. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to mathematically describe and understand how physical systems change over time. By using differential equations, scientists and engineers can make predictions and design solutions to real-world problems. They also provide a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing complex systems in various fields of study.