Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation with Function of Shifted Variable

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, I have a question for you... how would one go about solving an equation like this...

gif.gif

or this...

gif.gif

This came across my mind the other day. I was wondering how to solve that equation if the function is of t-1, instead of t. Obviously, if it was f(t), the solution would be Ce^t, but I was wondering if there is a way to find stuff for f(t-1).

Is there any literature that would help lead meh into da right direction? Obviously my title doesn't do much justice, so I wanted to know if stuff like this has already been dun before!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's easier to work in Leibnitz notation: $$\frac{d}{dt}y(t)=y(t-1)$$ I'd change the variable ...##\small x=t-1\Rightarrow t=x+1\Rightarrow dt/dx = 1## - multiply both sides by ##\small dt/dx##: $$\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx} = y(x)\frac{dt}{dx}$$
    ----------------------
    niggle: for clarity, the prime goes with the function and not the operand thus: ##y^\prime(t)## and not ##y(t)^\prime##

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am not sure what you are suggesting with this. If you are suggesting that the left side becomes
    dy/dx so that, since dt/dx= 1, dy/dx(x)= y(x), you are mistaken. With the change of variable, this becomes dy/dx(x+1)= y(x). Either way, this is a "differential-difference" equation which can be very difficult to solve.

Typically, rather than an "initial value" at specific value of t, the initial value is over an interval, say 0 to 1, and you can solve the equation "interval by interval".

For example, if we are given that f(t)= t for t in [0, 1], then, for t between 1 and 2, the equation is f'(t)= t-1 so that f(t)= t^2/2- t+ C. Since f is continuous at t= 1, we have f(1)= 1= 1/2- 1+ C so that C= 2- 1/2= 3/2. f(t)= t^2- t+ 3/2 for t in [1, 2].

For t in [1, 2], [itex]f'(t)= (t-1)^2- (t-1)+ 3/2= t^2- 3t+ 7/2[/itex]. Integrating, [itex]f(t)= (1/3)t^3- (3/2)t^2+ (7/2)t+ C[/itex]. Since f is continuous at t= 2, [itex]f(2)= 4- 2+ 3/2= 7/2= 8/3- 6+ 7+ C[/itex] so that C= -11/3. [itex]f(t)= (1/3)t^3- (3/2)t^2+ (7/2)t- 11/3[/itex] for x in [1, 2]

Continue like that.

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4
    That's a delay-differential equation. You can look that up. You can solve this one numerically for a particular initial function value in the interval (-1,0) for example, y(t)=t+1. We'd then solve:

[tex]y'(t)=y(t-1),\quad y(t)=t+1, t\in [-1,0][/tex]

Now, try and use the Euler method to solve that IVP for say t=0 to 5. Just a suggestion.

6. Aug 5, 2013 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One solution of the equation ##f'(x)=f(x-1)## is ##f(x)=e^{W(1)x}##, where ##W(x)## is the Lambert W function. Also that solution multiplied by any constant is a solution.

That kind of DE:s with a shifted variable don't appear much in physics, as they describe non-local dynamics.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah - I stuffed up :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook