1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentitation - Why open set?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

why is it that when we define [tex]f:U\subset R^n \rightharpoonup R^m[/tex], why does U have to be open?
    what happens if it's closed?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am a bit confused. Your title is "Differentiation- Why open set?" but you don't mention differentiation in the body.

If you are asking about mappings in general, no U does not have to be open. But if you are asking about points at which you can define the derivative of f, that's a different story.

Think about what happens in the "Calculus I", R1 case. The derivative of f(x), at x= a, is defined by
    [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]
    In order for that to exist, f(a+ h) has to be defined for all h close to 0- positive or negative. And that means that a has to be in the interior of some interval on which f is defined. If a is on the boundary, we can only define the "one sided derivative", using a one sided limit.

Now, in the more general, n dimensional, case, we have to be able to define f(x) for all x close to a. In other words, a must be an interior point of the domain of f. The set of all interior points of a set is, of course, an open set.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    oops... my bad.
    Was trying to find an answer in my textbook as I wrote that question.

Nothing about it in there, but thanks a lot :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?