Differents ways of ordering bars and stars

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of combinations and how to apply it in a given scenario. The main focus is on the number of possibilities and distinguishable arrangements in a set. The conclusion is that the question is equivalent to asking how many distinct subsets of size 2 can be formed from a given set.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
How many different ways can we plop down the stars and bars?
Relevant Equations
1599420659862.png

Actually, the answer is
1599420682496.png

But i am not sure why we can apply combination here. I am a little confused.
I could get the answer fixing the bar 1 in each place, with this fixed, we could change the position of the other bar. That would be:
First we have 7 different position
After this, 6 different position

Sn = 8*(7+0)/2 = 28

But i don't know why this is a combination.
Technically, is not
***|*|** = ||****** in the point of view of combination (The order does not matter)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at it different ways. You counted possibilities, and the other way is what the book does: Each of the eight places has two possibilities. That is drawing eight times either a ball with a star or with a bar out of the bowl and putting back the drawn ball. So we have eight places and two balls, which is 8 choose 2.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist
If I affix numbers 1-6 to the stars and 1-2 to the bars, so they are all distinguishable, how many distinct orderings are there?

If I removed the numbers from the bars, for any given layout how many became indistinguishable from it? So how many distinguishable arrangements are there?

If I then removed the numbers from the stars (so neither stars nor bars are distinguishable), for any given layout how many became indistinguishable from it?

Likes LCSphysicist
The question is equivalent to asking "how many distinct subsets of size 2 can I form from the set ##\{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8\}##?"

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is the concept of "bars and stars" in ordering?

The concept of "bars and stars" is a mathematical method for representing the number of ways to order a set of objects. It involves using bars to represent the objects and stars to represent the spaces between them.

2. What are the different ways of ordering bars and stars?

There are several different ways of ordering bars and stars, including the standard method, the restricted method, and the unrestricted method. Each method has its own rules and limitations for arranging the bars and stars.

3. How do you use the standard method for ordering bars and stars?

The standard method for ordering bars and stars involves arranging the bars and stars in a specific pattern, with the bars representing the objects and the stars representing the spaces between them. The number of ways to order the objects can then be calculated using a formula or by counting the number of possible arrangements.

4. What is the restricted method for ordering bars and stars?

The restricted method for ordering bars and stars is a variation of the standard method that involves setting limitations on the order of the objects. For example, the objects may need to be arranged in a specific sequence or certain objects may need to be grouped together.

5. How is the unrestricted method different from the standard method for ordering bars and stars?

The unrestricted method for ordering bars and stars is similar to the standard method, but it allows for more flexibility in the arrangement of the objects. This method is often used when there are no specific limitations or requirements for the order of the objects.