Difficult choice regarding Abstract Algebra

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on whether they should take the undergraduate or graduate abstract algebra course. They have no previous knowledge in this subject and are worried about getting into a good graduate school. The expert suggests taking the undergraduate course first as the graduate course may have prerequisites and cover material at a faster pace. They also recommend checking if the graduate course satisfies the requirements for the speaker's major. They share their personal experience of taking a graduate course after first completing the undergraduate course and suggest the speaker do the same.
F for Freedom
Hi all.

I am currently a Junior attending SUNY-Stony Brook as a math major.
This coming fall semester I have a very good opportunity before me: I can either take the undergrad abstract algebra course (textbook: Contemporary Abstract Algebra by Gallian), or I can take the graduate abstract algebra course (text book: Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote).

I feel like I am fairly competent with linear algebra, but from talking to people I don't really feel like that is going to help.

I have no previous abstract algebra knowledge.

What should I do? I want to get into some good graduate school after I finish my undergrad, and taking a graduate course will really help in that endeavor (if I do well in it, of course).

I am really nervous about this. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you should take the undergraduate algebra course. Some reasons follow:

* The graduate course probably will require an undergraduate course in the subject as a prerequisite.

* Even if you can get the instructor's permission to take the graduate course, you still may run into problems. Graduate courses cover material faster and it probably will be assumed that you're already familiar with the basics.

* Finally, will the graduate course satisfy the requirements of your major?

I took a graduate course in algebra as an undergrad, but only after first taking the undergraduate course. Perhaps you could take the undergraduate course this year, and then the graduate course next year?

I understand the importance of making informed decisions and weighing the potential benefits and challenges of different options. In this case, it seems like you have a difficult choice to make regarding your abstract algebra course. While it may seem daunting to jump into a graduate level course without prior knowledge, it could also be a valuable opportunity to challenge yourself and demonstrate your abilities to potential graduate schools. On the other hand, taking the undergraduate course may provide a stronger foundation and allow for a smoother transition into the graduate level material.

My advice would be to carefully consider your personal strengths and goals. Are you confident in your ability to learn quickly and thrive in a more advanced course? Or do you prefer a slower pace and a stronger foundation before tackling more complex material? Additionally, consider seeking advice from your professors or peers who have taken these courses before. They may have valuable insights and can provide a more specific perspective on the difficulty and expectations of each course.

Ultimately, both options have their own benefits and challenges. Whichever course you choose, make sure to put in the effort and dedication to succeed. Good luck with your decision and your future academic pursuits.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with abstract concepts and operations rather than specific numbers or equations, making it a more general and theoretical approach to algebra.

2. Why is Abstract Algebra considered difficult?

Abstract Algebra is considered difficult because it involves complex abstract thinking and requires a strong foundation in algebraic concepts and techniques. It also involves studying advanced mathematical structures that may not have real-world applications, making it challenging to grasp for some individuals.

3. What are some real-world applications of Abstract Algebra?

While Abstract Algebra may seem abstract and theoretical, it has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. For example, group theory is used in cryptography to create secure codes, and linear algebra is used in coding theory to correct errors in data transmission.

4. What are some tips for understanding Abstract Algebra?

Some tips for understanding Abstract Algebra include building a strong foundation in algebraic concepts and techniques, practicing solving abstract problems, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and tutors. It is also helpful to approach the subject with an open and curious mindset and to not be afraid to ask questions.

5. How can I make a difficult choice regarding Abstract Algebra?

Making a difficult choice regarding Abstract Algebra can be challenging, but it is essential to assess your goals and strengths. Consider your level of interest and aptitude in abstract thinking, as well as your future career aspirations. Seeking advice from a mentor or professor can also help you make an informed decision.