Difficult maths problem - requires some thought

• Thread starter david18
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the time when the hour hand and minute hand on a watch will be pointing in opposite directions. One person attempts to solve it using equations, while the other suggests using the fact that the hands are opposite each other 11 out of every 12 hours. It is also mentioned that this can be solved using rates.
david18
After the hour hand has passed 8 on your watch, when will the minute hand and the hour hand be pointing in exactly opposite directions?

I did initially try formulating equations based on the change in the angle of the hour hand after x minutes, but it doesn't seem to be taking me anywhere.

I don't even know where to start on this question, any pointers in what direction I should head would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the time is x minutes past the hour, what is the angle (in degrees) between the minute hand and 12 o'clock (measured clockwise)? Call this angle m. (Note that x need not be a whole number.)

When the time is 8 o'clock and x minutes, what is the angle (in degrees) between the hour hand and 12 o'clock (measured clockwise)? Call this angle h.

For what value of x do we have h-m=180?

The easy way is to notice the hour and minute hand are pointing in opposite directions at 6 o'clock, and every 12 hours there are exactly 11 times they are pointing in opposite directions. Now you can figure out the times. But you can also do it with rates. Post your attempt and someone will probably show you where you went wrong.

What is the best approach for solving a difficult math problem?

The best approach for solving a difficult math problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying what is known and unknown and try to visualize the problem. Then, use problem-solving strategies such as making a table, drawing a diagram, or working backwards to find a solution.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for difficult math problems?

Practicing regularly and exposing yourself to a variety of math problems can improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, it is important to stay organized and to communicate your thought process and solutions with others. Seeking help from a tutor or classmate can also be beneficial.

How do I know if I have the correct answer to a difficult math problem?

To ensure that you have the correct answer to a difficult math problem, you can check your work by plugging in your solution and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also ask someone else to check your answer or use online resources or calculators to verify your solution.

What should I do if I am stuck on a difficult math problem?

If you are stuck on a difficult math problem, take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. It can also be helpful to discuss the problem with a teacher, tutor, or classmate for a different perspective.

How can I stay motivated when faced with a difficult math problem?

Staying motivated when faced with a difficult math problem can be challenging, but it is important to remember that perseverance and determination are key to finding a solution. Remind yourself of the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment you will feel when you solve the problem and try to break it down into smaller, achievable goals.