1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult vector word problem final step

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The current in a river flows North at 5mph. A boat starts straight across the river at 8mph relative to the water.

(a) What is the speed of the boat relative tot he land?

(b) If the river is 2mi wide, how long does it take the boat to cross the river?

(c) If the boat sets out straight for the opposite side, how far north will it reach the opposite shore?

(d) If we want to have the boat go straight across the river, at what angle should the boat be headed?

3. The attempt at a solution
    W = 5
    Wθ = 90
    Wx = 5cos(90) = 0
    Wy = 5sin(90) = 5
    ---
    B = 8
    Bθ = 0
    Bx = 8cos(0) = 8
    By = 8sin(0) = 0

R = √[64+25] = 9.43
    Rx = 8
    Ry = 5
    Rθ = arctan(5/8) = 32
    ---
    (a) 9.43mph
    ---
    (b) 60/9.43 = 6.36 ∴ it takes 6.36min for the boat to go 1mi. The actual distance the boat travels is given by the hyp of a triangle across the river, the hyp is given by 2/[cos(32)] = 2.36mi ∴ 2.36*6.36mi = 15m to cross the river
    ---
    (c) The distance the boat travels north is give by the opposite side of the triangle across the river, the opp is given by 2.36*sin(32) = 1.25mi North
    ---
    (d) I thought about this for a while, and I can't seem to figure it out... The answer the books gives is 38.7° SE

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but there's an easier way. Relative to the water, the how far does the boat have to travel?

For (d), suppose the boat heads at angle theta South of the straight-across direction. How fast would it be travelling up river?

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    I don't understand :S sorry

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you take the flowing water as your frame of reference, the boat is heading at 8mph straight across a width of 2 mi, so takes 15 minutes.
    Forget the flow of water for the moment. If the boat were to travel at 8mph but, instead of pointing straight across, it heads at angle theta South of straight across. What will the components of its speed be in the two directions (straight across and South)?

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    The x and y components of the boat at the angle theta would be

Bx = 8cos(θ)
    By = 8cos(θ)

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They can't both be cos. Which are you calling x and which y?
    When you've sorted that out, what do you get when you add in the effect of the current?

8. Jan 30, 2013 #7
    omg haha sorry. Typing error. The second one was supposed to be sin. I do that sometimes in my homework too :S.

The x and y comp's of the resultant vector when the boat starts off in a direction theta are

Rx = 8cos(θ)
    Ry = 8sin(θ) + 5

wait...I think I understand.

arctan([8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)]) = 0

[8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)] = tan(0)

[8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)] = 0

8sin(θ)+5 = 0

sin(θ) = 5/8

θ = arcsin(5/8) = 38.7°

Wow thanks dude ^^

9. Jan 30, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

With the way I defined theta, that should be -5
    If 8sin(θ)+5 = 0 then sin(θ) = -5/8, but given that it should have been -5 in the first place, +5/8 is right. Well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook