Difficult vector word problem final step

In summary, the boat travels at 8mph relative to the water and the river flows North at 5mph. To cross the river, the boat takes 6.36 minutes and travels a distance of 15 meters. When the boat heads at an angle of 38.7° SE, it goes straight across the river.
personguything

Homework Statement

The current in a river flows North at 5mph. A boat starts straight across the river at 8mph relative to the water.

(a) What is the speed of the boat relative tot he land?

(b) If the river is 2mi wide, how long does it take the boat to cross the river?

(c) If the boat sets out straight for the opposite side, how far north will it reach the opposite shore?

(d) If we want to have the boat go straight across the river, at what angle should the boat be headed?

The Attempt at a Solution

W = 5
Wθ = 90
Wx = 5cos(90) = 0
Wy = 5sin(90) = 5
---
B = 8
Bθ = 0
Bx = 8cos(0) = 8
By = 8sin(0) = 0

R = √[64+25] = 9.43
Rx = 8
Ry = 5
Rθ = arctan(5/8) = 32
---
(a) 9.43mph
---
(b) 60/9.43 = 6.36 ∴ it takes 6.36min for the boat to go 1mi. The actual distance the boat travels is given by the hyp of a triangle across the river, the hyp is given by 2/[cos(32)] = 2.36mi ∴ 2.36*6.36mi = 15m to cross the river
---
(c) The distance the boat travels north is give by the opposite side of the triangle across the river, the opp is given by 2.36*sin(32) = 1.25mi North
---
(d) I thought about this for a while, and I can't seem to figure it out... The answer the books gives is 38.7° SE

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
personguything said:
(b) 60/9.43 = 6.36 ∴ it takes 6.36min for the boat to go 1mi. The actual distance the boat travels is given by the hyp of a triangle across the river, the hyp is given by 2/[cos(32)] = 2.36mi ∴ 2.36*6.36mi = 15m to cross the river
Yes, but there's an easier way. Relative to the water, the how far does the boat have to travel?

For (d), suppose the boat heads at angle theta South of the straight-across direction. How fast would it be traveling up river?

haruspex said:
Yes, but there's an easier way. Relative to the water, the how far does the boat have to travel?

For (d), suppose the boat heads at angle theta South of the straight-across direction. How fast would it be traveling up river?

I don't understand :S sorry

haruspex said:
If you take the flowing water as your frame of reference, the boat is heading at 8mph straight across a width of 2 mi, so takes 15 minutes.
Forget the flow of water for the moment. If the boat were to travel at 8mph but, instead of pointing straight across, it heads at angle theta South of straight across. What will the components of its speed be in the two directions (straight across and South)?

haruspex said:
Forget the flow of water for the moment. If the boat were to travel at 8mph but, instead of pointing straight across, it heads at angle theta South of straight across. What will the components of its speed be in the two directions (straight across and South)?

The x and y components of the boat at the angle theta would be

Bx = 8cos(θ)
By = 8cos(θ)

personguything said:
The x and y components of the boat at the angle theta would be

Bx = 8cos(θ)
By = 8cos(θ)

They can't both be cos. Which are you calling x and which y?
When you've sorted that out, what do you get when you add in the effect of the current?

haruspex said:
They can't both be cos. Which are you calling x and which y?
When you've sorted that out, what do you get when you add in the effect of the current?

omg haha sorry. Typing error. The second one was supposed to be sin. I do that sometimes in my homework too :S.

The x and y comp's of the resultant vector when the boat starts off in a direction theta are

Rx = 8cos(θ)
Ry = 8sin(θ) + 5

wait...I think I understand.

arctan([8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)]) = 0

[8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)] = tan(0)

[8sin(θ)+5]/[8cos(θ)] = 0

8sin(θ)+5 = 0

sin(θ) = 5/8

θ = arcsin(5/8) = 38.7°

Wow thanks dude ^^

personguything said:
Ry = 8sin(θ) + 5
With the way I defined theta, that should be -5
8sin(θ)+5 = 0
sin(θ) = 5/8
If 8sin(θ)+5 = 0 then sin(θ) = -5/8, but given that it should have been -5 in the first place, +5/8 is right. Well done.

1. What is a vector word problem and why is it difficult?

A vector word problem is a mathematical problem that involves using vectors (magnitude and direction) to solve for a given quantity. These problems can be difficult because they require a strong understanding of vector concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world scenarios.

2. How can I approach solving difficult vector word problems?

One approach is to start by visualizing the problem and drawing a diagram to represent the given information. Then, use vector addition and subtraction to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It may also be helpful to identify any known values or relationships between the given quantities.

3. What is the final step in solving a difficult vector word problem?

The final step is to use trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to find the missing vector components. These functions can help you determine the magnitude and direction of the final vector by using the known values and relationships from the previous steps.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve difficult vector word problems?

Yes, a calculator can be a useful tool for solving these types of problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem rather than solely relying on the calculator. This will help you to better understand the problem and check your answers for accuracy.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving difficult vector word problems?

While there may not be specific shortcuts, it can be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Also, practicing with different types of vector word problems and understanding the underlying concepts can make it easier to solve similar problems in the future.