Difficulty checking group axioms

In summary, it is easy to show that if a set ##G## equipped with a binary associative operation is a group, then conditions (1) and (2) hold. Condition (1) states that ##G## is not empty and for all ##a,b\in G##, there exists an ##x,y\in G## such that ##bx=a## and ##yb=a##. Condition (2) states that there exists a special element ##e\in G## such that ##xe = x## for all ##x##, and for each ##x\in G##, there exists some ##x^\prime \in G## such that ##xx^\prime = e##. It is also true that if either
R136a1
Let ##G## be a set equipped with a binary associative operation ##\cdot##.

In both of the following situations, we have a group:

1) ##G## is not empty, and for all ##a,b\in G##, there exists an ##x,y\in G## such that ##bx=a## and ##yb=a##.

2) There exists a special element ##e\in G## such that ##xe = x## for all ##x##. And (if we fix this ##e##), then for each ##x\in G##, there exists some ##x^\prime \in G## such that ##xx^\prime = e##.

For reference, ##G## equipped with a binary associative operation is a group if there exists an element ##e\in G## such that ##xe=ex=x##. And for any ##x\in G##, there is an ##x^\prime\in G## such that ##xx^\prime = x^\prime x = e##.

I've been thinking for hours and I really can't seem to figure out why either (1) or (2) forms a group.

It is easy to show that if we have a group, then ##(1)## and ##(2)## hold.

Furthermore, I know that if ##(1)## holds, then ##(2)## holds as well. Indeed, take ##a## a special element, then we can find an ##e## such that ##ae=a## (for this special ##a##). Now, take ##b## arbitrary, then there is an ##x## such that ##b = xa = xae = be##. So we have found the right element ##e##. The existence of ##x^\prime## for every ##x## is now obvious.

So it suffices to show that ##(2)## implies that we have a group. But I really can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly, it is true that if either (1) or (2) holds, we have an identity and each element has an inverse. So the only thing left is the "associative law" for any a, b, and c in the set, (ab)c= a(bc). I don't see how that follows from (2).

Associative is given, so there is no need to check that.

I don't see why we have an identity, if ##(2)## holds. Sure, we have that ##xe= x## and ##xx^\prime = e##. But why do we also have ##ex= x## and ##x^\prime x = e##?

Just for clarity - you want to show that given a right inverse, a right identity element, and associativity (conditions 1 and 2) that each member of a group i) commutes with its own right inverse and that ii) commutes with the right identity element?

Awesome! Thanks a lot. That was a pretty annoying problem, haha.

1. What are group axioms?

Group axioms are a set of rules or properties that define what a group is. They include closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. These axioms are important in understanding the behavior and properties of groups in mathematics.

2. Why is it important to check group axioms?

Checking group axioms is important because it ensures that a given set with a binary operation actually forms a group. This is important for mathematical rigor and to avoid any errors or contradictions in further calculations or proofs.

3. What are the consequences of not checking group axioms?

If group axioms are not checked, it can lead to incorrect results or conclusions in mathematical proofs or calculations. It can also lead to contradictions or inconsistencies in the structure of a group, which can cause confusion and hinder further progress in mathematical research.

4. How do you check group axioms?

To check group axioms, one must verify that the set satisfies all four axioms: closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element. This can be done by performing the binary operation on any two elements in the set and seeing if the result also belongs to the set, if the operation is associative, if there exists an identity element, and if each element has an inverse element.

5. Can group axioms be checked for any type of mathematical operation?

Yes, group axioms can be checked for any type of binary operation, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. As long as the four axioms are satisfied, the set with the given operation can be considered a group.