Dilute HF/Nitric Neutralization MYSTERY

• Thread starter Aaron William
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary: If the temperature gets too high you may need to remove some of the calcium hydroxide before neutralizing.
Aaron William
My mate and I are neutralizing (what we think is) a 2.5 gallon carboy of 10% HNO3 and 1% HF solution. Reason: We want to pour this stuff down the drain and be done with it.

We use calcium hydroxide because we didn't want to create any sodium fluoride (nasty stuff that it is) from using soda or Na-hydroxide and also because calcium carbonate is very insoluble (and too damn slow).

Initially we slaked the lime in water and added it ever so slowly. Nothing happened. I wanted to at least get the satisfying fizz I get when I neutralize diluted nitric acid with soda; so I started dropping the lime powder in by the scoopful. I had my lab coat on - carboy in the fume hood, what could possibly go wrong?

Still, no heat, no fizz (no carbon dioxide evolved I guess), nothing. We had to stir it up a bit to allow the solid powder to react but once pH was around 7 we called it good and started pouring it down the sink (with lots of excess water). It took 250 g of 95% calcium hydroxide to do the job.

I think the reaction is this:
2HNO3 + Ca(OH)2 -> Ca(NO3)2 + 2H2O
2HF + Ca(OH)2 -> CaF2 + 2H2O

Something doesn't feel right. I feel like we had a very uneventful reaction and, at least in theory, that we were "blessed" with fairly benign products. Is there a byproduct we are overlooking? Could the CaF and (dilute) calcium nitrate solution damage our plumbing? Probably our solution was more dilute than we thought (who can keep track of these things - details!). So many questions...

EDIT *I did a stoichiometry and I guess the solution was more like 3-4% acid. Still - am I overlooking something that is going to cause my lab to explode?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I must say I feel uneasy about the idea of working with such a mix, about neutralizing it the way you did, and about the idea of pouring it down the drain. Depending on where you are it could be a criminal act.

That being said - if you are still alive and the pH of the solution was around 7, I can't think of anything that could put your lab in the orbit.

I checked with my local treatment center to see if I can send some fluorides (as CaF) there way and they didn't think it'd be a problem. I'm sure CaF passes right through the treatment process but, in this amount, it certainly won't cause them to bust their emission limit.

If the solution truly is dilute (@5%) what is the worst that could happen? Maybe I don't have a proper gauge of the risk... but it seems like having this big mass of water if making the neutralization a lot safer.

If you checked with them, that's much better. My main point is about HF - its a nasty thing to work with. I understand you took necessary precautions, but I still feel creeps. Perhaps that's just me.

Calcium hydroxide will not "fizz" when added to HNO3 and HF because no gas is produced.

Calcium nitrate is harmless as long as its dissolved in water. If allowed to dry and crystallize and come into contact with an organic material in the presence of a flame or spark or sufficient heat it could cause a fire and possibly an explosion. Nitrate is one of the main ingredients in gunpowder after all.

Calcium fluoride on the other hand is insoluble and just forms an inert precipitate. Although if exposed to concentrated acid, specifically sulfuric acid, it could release fluoride ion.

I would dump excess Calcium Hydroxide into the HNO3 + HF mix until the pH was 8 or more just to be safe. When adding the calcium hydroxide to the acid mix keep an eye on the temperature of the mix as it will heat up.

1. What is dilute HF/Nitric neutralization?

Dilute HF/Nitric neutralization is a process in which hydrofluoric acid (HF) and nitric acid (HNO3) are combined in a specific ratio to neutralize their acidic properties. The resulting solution is less corrosive and can be safely disposed of.

2. Why is it called a "mystery"?

The term "mystery" refers to the fact that the exact chemical reaction that occurs during dilute HF/Nitric neutralization is not fully understood. While we know that the two acids react to form a salt and water, the specific mechanism is still a subject of ongoing research.

3. What is the purpose of diluting HF/Nitric neutralization?

The purpose of diluting HF/Nitric neutralization is to reduce the corrosive properties of the resulting solution. HF and HNO3 are highly corrosive acids, but when mixed in specific ratios, they neutralize each other and create a less harmful solution that can be safely disposed of.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with dilute HF/Nitric neutralization?

It is important to wear proper personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, when working with dilute HF/Nitric neutralization. It is also essential to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow proper handling and disposal procedures to prevent exposure to the acids.

5. What are the potential applications of dilute HF/Nitric neutralization?

Dilute HF/Nitric neutralization has various applications, including waste treatment, metal etching, and semiconductor manufacturing. It can also be used in laboratory settings to neutralize excess acids in experiments and to safely dispose of chemical waste.