Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensions and the Generating Functional

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    Something seems a little weird to me: What are the dimensions of a generating functional, [itex]Z[j][/itex] -- say for real scalar field theory?

[tex]Z[j]=\int\mathcal{D}\phi\,\exp\, i\!\int d^4x\left(\frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu\phi\partial^\mu\phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+j\phi\right)[/tex]​

Also, what about mass dimensions of the generating functional for connected Green's functions, [itex]W[j][/itex]? This is defined in terms of the log of the generating functional, [itex]Z[j][/itex].

[tex]Z[j]=e^{iW[j]}[/tex]​

This seems a little pathological...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Both Z and W are dimensionless. This is obvious for W, since you couldn't put it into the exponential if it wasn't. As for Z, it's usually defined as the vacuum-to-vacuum transition amplitude in the presence of the source j, and this equals one if there is no source, so Z[0]=1. Thus Z[j] must be dimensionless. To get Z[0]=1, a normalization factor must be implicitly included in the measure over the fields.

None of this is specific to field theory. Similar statements apply to path integrals in NRQMOP (non-relavitistic quantum mechanics of one particle :smile:).

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    Ah, so you mean in order for Z[0]=1, the integration measure, [itex]\mathcal{D}\phi[/itex], must be normalized such that it is unitless.

I understand now. thanks, Avodyne!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?