1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimentional Anaylsis: Solving for Revolutions

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    NASA's Cassini mission to Saturn released a probe on December 25, 2004, that landed on the Saturnian moon Titan on January 14, 2005. The probe, which was named Huygens, was released with a gentle relative speed of 31 cm/s. As Huygens moved away from the main spacecraft, it rotated at a rate of seven revolutions per minute.

How many revolutions had Huygens completed when it was 160 yards from the mother ship?

I know the answer is 55 rev; however, I got a completely different answer. I solved for the answer this way:

160yd*(3ft/yd)*(12in/ft)*(2.54cm/in) = x

I then divided x by 31 cm/s, and multiplied it by 420 rev/s.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    How can something that does only 7 revolutions in 60 seconds do 420 revolutions in 1 second?

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    You're right. I don't know what I was thinking! I did figure out that I needed to divide 7rpm by 60s and multiply that number by 471.948s, which gave to 55rev. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook