1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dirac Delta using Fourier Transformation

1. Dec 25, 2016 #1
    We know,
    $$\delta(x) = \begin{cases}
    \infty & \text{if } x = 0 \\
    0 & \text{if } x \neq 0
    \end{cases}$$
    And, also,
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x)\,dx=1$$
    Using Fourier Transformation, it can be shown that,
    $$\delta(x)=\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sin{(\Omega x)}}{\pi x}$$
    Let's look at the graph of ##y=\frac{\sin{(\Omega x)}}{\pi x}##, for large ##\Omega##.

Untitled.png

So, from this graph, it seems,
    $$\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sin{(\Omega x)}}{\pi x}\neq 0 \text{ , for } x\neq 0 $$

But, this is actually the fourier transformation of the function,
    $$f(t)=1=\exp{(i\cdot 0\cdot t)}$$

So, intution tells me that the frequency spectrum of ##f(t)## should have infinite amplitude at ##x=0## and ##0## amplitude otherwise, just like the Dirac-delta function.

Now, how can I show that,
    $$\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sin{(\Omega x)}}{\pi x} = 0 \text{ when, } x\neq 0$$

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2016 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

The rigorous definition of dirac delta function is not the one you write at the beginning of your post. Even if we accept that definition (because intuitively that's what the dirac delta is) then I don't know how you come up with ##\delta(x)=\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty} \frac{sin(\Omega x)}{\pi x}## cause that limit simply does NOT exist. (it does not exist for ##x\neq 0##, if we first take the limit x->0 then it exists and is infinite).

4. Dec 25, 2016 #3
    Using fourier transformation, we have,
    AS.PNG

Comparing with the equation,
    $$f(t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(t-u)f(u)\,du$$
    we have,
    ASS.PNG

Thus,
    $$\begin{align}
    \delta(t)&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i\omega t}\,d\omega\\
    &=\frac{1}{2\pi}\lim_{\Omega\rightarrow \infty}\left[\frac{e^{i\omega t}}{i\omega t}\right]^{\Omega}_{\omega=-\Omega}\\
    &=\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sin{(\Omega t)}}{\pi t}
    \end{align}$$

Reference:
    Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd Edition by K. F. Riley, M. P. Hobson, S. J. Bence, Page/442

5. Dec 25, 2016 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

The last two equalities would hold only if the limit ##\frac{1}{2\pi}\lim_{\Omega\rightarrow \infty}\left[\frac{e^{i\omega t}}{it}\right]^{\Omega}_{\omega=-\Omega}=
    \lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sin{(\Omega t)}}{\pi t}

## existed but it does not exist, as you can easily prove for any x<>0 the limit ##\lim_{\Omega \rightarrow \infty}\sin{(\Omega x)}## does not exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted