Discerete math and algebra books for programming majors

In summary, there are several books that can enhance your understanding of algorithms and programming, specifically in the areas of discrete mathematics and algebra. These include "A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra" by Victor Shoup, "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth et al., and "Combinatorics" by Cameron et al.
AliGh
Hi
Im looking for discrete mathematics and algebra books to study. I want to enhance my understanding of algorithms and programming and i like discrete mathematics
I'm reading Apostol for this semester's calculus (took a look at spivak too).
Any book as good as them that will be useful for me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
AliGh said:
Hi
Im looking for discrete mathematics and algebra books to study. I want to enhance my understanding of algorithms and programming and i like discrete mathematics
I'm reading Apostol for this semester's calculus (took a look at spivak too).
Any book as good as them that will be useful for me ?

I have a perfect match for you: "A Computational Introduction to Number Theory and Algebra" by Victor Shoup. This book is focused mostly on the algebra and number theory, but the principal focus is on the computer science. The book is also available as PDF form for free at the author's website: http://shoup.net/ntb/

You might also like "Concrete Mathematics" by Knuth et al. and "Combinatorics" by Cameron at al.

Likes AliGh

1. What is Discrete Math and how is it related to programming?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is related to programming because it provides the fundamental mathematical concepts and tools used in algorithms, data structures, and other areas of computer science.

2. What are some common topics covered in Discrete Math and Algebra books for programming majors?

Some common topics covered in these books include sets, relations, functions, logic, proof techniques, combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory. Algebra topics such as matrices, vectors, and linear algebra may also be included.

3. How can knowledge of Discrete Math and Algebra benefit a programming career?

Knowledge of Discrete Math and Algebra can benefit a programming career in many ways. It can help programmers analyze and design efficient algorithms, understand and implement data structures, and improve problem-solving skills. It can also provide a strong foundation for more advanced topics in computer science.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying Discrete Math and Algebra for programming?

While some familiarity with basic algebra and mathematical notation is helpful, there are no strict prerequisites for studying Discrete Math and Algebra for programming. However, a strong understanding of concepts such as logic, sets, and functions is crucial for understanding more advanced topics.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning Discrete Math and Algebra for programming?

Yes, there are many excellent textbooks available for learning Discrete Math and Algebra for programming. Some popular choices include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen, "Concrete Mathematics" by Ronald Graham, Donald Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, and "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas Cormen, Charles Leiserson, Ronald Rivest, and Clifford Stein.