Discrete mathematics induction

In summary, the given proof shows that for all integers a >= 1 and n >= 1, the expression a^n - 1 is divisible by a - 1. The proof uses mathematical induction to show that if a^k - 1 is divisible by a - 1, then a^(k+1) - 1 is also divisible by a - 1. This shows that for any value of a, the statement holds true, regardless of whether a is greater than or equal to 1.
Firestrider

Homework Statement

Prove that for all integers a >= 1, a^n - 1 is divisible by a - 1 for all n >= 1.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof - Let P(n): a^n - 1 is divisible by a - 1, then

P(1): a^1 - 1 is divisible by a - 1 is TRUE since a^1 - 1 = a - 1, and a - 1 = (1)(a - 1)

Suppose that P(k): a^k - 1 is divisible by a - 1 is TRUE. Then, there exists an integer q such that a^k - 1 = (a - 1)q or a^k = (a-1)q + 1

Now consider a^(k+1) - 1 = a(a^k) - 1
= a((a - 1)q + 1) - 1
= (a)(a - 1)q + a - 1
= (a - 1)aq + (a - 1)
= (a - 1)(aq + 1)

Thus, a^(k+1) - 1 is divisible by a - 1 whenever a^k - 1 is divisible by a - 1. Therefore, a^n - 1 is divisible by a -1 for all n >= 1.

The problem I'm having is I don't think I proved that for all a >= 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is no requirement that a- 1 be greater than 0 so there is no requirement that a be greater than 1.

I think I just proved that for all a >= 2. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Your proof is correct for all a >= 2, but you are right that it does not cover the case of a = 1. To address this, you can add a separate proof for the case of a = 1:

Proof for a = 1: P(n): 1^n - 1 is divisible by 1 - 1, which is always true since 1^n - 1 = 1 - 1 = 0, and 0 is divisible by any integer.

Therefore, the statement holds for all integers a >= 1.

1. What is induction in discrete mathematics?

Induction in discrete mathematics is a proof technique used to prove statements about integers or discrete objects. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven true for the smallest possible value, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one value, it is also true for the next value.

2. How is induction used in discrete mathematics?

Induction is used to prove statements about integers or discrete objects that follow a pattern. It is a powerful tool that allows us to prove infinite statements using a finite number of steps. It is commonly used in proving theorems in number theory, combinatorics, and graph theory.

3. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

The main difference between weak and strong induction lies in the way the inductive step is formulated. In weak induction, we assume that the statement is true for all previous values, while in strong induction, we assume that the statement is true for some previous values. This difference leads to different proof techniques and can be seen as a continuum, with weak induction on one end and strong induction on the other.

4. What are some common mistakes when using induction in discrete mathematics?

One of the most common mistakes when using induction is assuming that the statement is true for all values without properly proving the base case. Another common mistake is using the wrong statement in the inductive step, leading to a flawed proof. It is also important to be careful with the scope of variables and make sure they are consistent throughout the proof.

5. Can induction be used to prove all statements in discrete mathematics?

No, induction is not a universal proof technique and cannot be used to prove all statements in discrete mathematics. There are some statements that cannot be proven using induction, such as statements that are not true for all integers or statements that require a different type of proof, such as contradiction or contrapositive.