Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discretize and solve Chimera state model

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

We are working on a paper - Chimera States for Coupled Osscillators from Daniel M. Abrams and Steven H. Strogatz.
    We have the following formula of the simplest system that supports a chimera state:
    [tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial t} = \omega - \displaystyle\int^\pi_{-\pi} G(x-x')\sin[\phi(x,t)-\phi(x',t)+\alpha]dx'[/tex]
    Now we have to discretize it and 'ODE' it.
    Our discretization looks like:
    [tex]\dot{\phi_i} = \omega_i - \frac{1}{N}\displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^N G(x_i-x_j')\sin[(\phi(x_i,t)-\phi(x_j',t)+\alpha][/tex]
    Where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the phase of the oscilator at position x at time t, i is the current oscillator and j are the oscillators in the ring.
    [tex]G(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}(1+A\cos x)[/tex]
    Now we have to solve this equation with [tex]x = \pm \pi \quad \alpha = \frac{\pi}{2} - 0.18 \quad A = 0.995 \quad N=256[/tex]
    The solver Runge-Kutta has to be used with dt = 0.025 for 200000 iterations and starting from [tex]\phi(x)=6rexp(-0.76x^2)[/tex]. r is a random variable between -0.5 and 0.5

Who can help us.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    Try downloading the free software XPPAUT and solve using it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?