Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dispersion or standard deviation?

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    In some textbooks ##\Delta \hat{x}## is called dispersion of coordinate ##\Delta \hat{x}=(\langle \hat{x^2} \rangle-\langle \hat{x} \rangle ^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}##. For me that is standard deviation. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have never seen 'dispersion of coordinate' used. It strikes me as something translated from English to another language, and then translated back.

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

"Standard deviation" is the term that I've always used; or for its square, the "variance".

A Google search for "dispersion standard deviation" turns up many pages with statements like "the standard deviation is a measure of dispersion". So "dispersion" is the general idea of "width" of a statistical distribution, and the "standard deviation" is a specific way of describing or measuring it mathematically.

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4
    What name you use for ##\Delta \hat{x}##? What is that mathematically for you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook