Displacement Calculations for Canadian and Norwegian Skiers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
tarun766
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



o582nr.jpg


Homework Equations


Not sure about this? (this is what I am confused about)


The Attempt at a Solution


No attempt :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To help you get started:

1. Write down the equation that describes the displacement (distance in this problem) of the Canadian skier and then the Norwegian skier.

2. What does it mean (think in terms of the above equations) for the Canadian skier to overtake the Norwegian skier? What condition must be satisfied?
 
RobLikesBrunc said:
To help you get started:

1. Write down the equation that describes the displacement (distance in this problem) of the Canadian skier and then the Norwegian skier.

2. What does it mean (think in terms of the above equations) for the Canadian skier to overtake the Norwegian skier? What condition must be satisfied?

1. d2-d1?

2. The Canadian skier has a parabola as its position time graph and the norwegian one has a diagonal straight line starting at 1m on the y axis.

Could you explain the solution?
 
I have no idea what d2 and d1 are.

As for 2, you didn't really answer the question. The Canadian skier overtakes the Norwegian skier when they've gone the same distance.

What equation describes the distance that the Canadian skier has gone in some time t? And what equation describes the distance that the Norwegian skier has gone?
 
RobLikesBrunc said:
I have no idea what d2 and d1 are.

As for 2, you didn't really answer the question. The Canadian skier overtakes the Norwegian skier when they've gone the same distance.

What equation describes the distance that the Canadian skier has gone in some time t? And what equation describes the distance that the Norwegian skier has gone?

Yes I am not sure about the answer that is why I am asking here.
 
tarun766 said:
Yes I am not sure about the answer that is why I am asking here.

If you still can't even attempt the problem after what I've told you, you need to go back and actually learn the material.

The displacement of the Canadian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].

The displacement of the Norwegian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t[/tex].

You do the rest.
 
RobLikesBrunc said:
If you still can't even attempt the problem after what I've told you, you need to go back and actually learn the material.

The displacement of the Canadian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].

The displacement of the Norwegian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t[/tex].

You do the rest.

Could you please write a solution? I still am not getting the correct answer.