Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disproving an incorrect theorem?

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    Incorrect Theorem:
    Suppose x and y are real numbers and x + y = 10, then x != 3 and y != 8.

(a) What’s wrong with the following proof of the theorem?

Proof. Suppose the conclusion of the theorem is false. Then x = 3 and y = 8. But then x + y = 11, which contradicts the given information that x + y = 10. Therefore the conclusion must be true.

(b) Show that the theorem is incorrect by finding a counterexample.

So according to the answer it's false because x != 3 can't be proven with x = 3 because that's not the negation, but even so, isn't the theorem true because 3 + 8 = 11 which does contradict the premise... I'm very confused by this....

For b, the counter example was x = 3 and x = 7 but how does that disprove it? I'm still very confused by counter examples.
    So would it be written as "Suppose x and y are real numbers and x + y = 10, then x = 3 and y = 7" Is that how the counter example would be written?

Please explain!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is not the negation of the theorem.

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    So the proof is false so therefore the theorem is false or is the theorem already false to begin with, so proof would also be false....

5. Feb 16, 2016 #4
    Never mind. I figured it out. Thank you.

6. Feb 18, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the statement, the conclusion is "then ##x \ne 3 \text{ and } y \ne 8##"

The negation of the conclusion is ##x = 3 \text{ or } y = 8##. I believe this is what micromass was alluding to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook