1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dissociation Constant of Weak Acids

1. May 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my lab, it says that i have to calculate the pH and the Ka of an unknown acid of known concentration (0.20 mol/L)..however, the part that is confusing me is that we first had to obtain 40 mL of that particular unknown acid...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that [HA]--> <--- [H]+ +[A]- ..i initially thought that it's Ka is simply (0.20)^2/0.20 but i think it's wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You either MEASURE the pH of the unknown acid, or you KNOW THE Ka or identity of the acid. Other than that, you perform a pH titration and make a TITRATION CURVE. Your Ka expression can be coordinated to certain data from your pH titration data (or the curve). Borek has some online guidance that may help with this theory. Another choice is to study the theory of neutralization titrations, especially for weak acids and bases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook